2007 Chevy Cobalt Wiring Harness Wire Damage - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

2007 Chevy Cobalt Wiring Harness Wire Damage

Hi. I have had a rat(s) get under my hood and chew on the wiring harness that goes directly into the firewall.
What damage i can view is approximately 3 wires. The car will not start and because this has happened a few
years ago, i started looking for damage again. Sure enough it was in the exact same spot as before.

As the wiring bundles enter the fire wall to the dash board I see the damage. Im not sure if there is more
under their or not.

Now for my questions? I want to repair those wires but cant fully reach them. I am wondering if the dash board will
have to be removed and or the fuse box under the hood?

I can turn the damage in on my insurance but the cost of the new harness and labor, etc the adjuster said would total the vehicle
because of its age even though is still has low miles.

Now...you should know...I have little money and am a 53 year old widow lady that has been forced to learn how to do things
in the last 4 years that i didnt know i could. In other words, taking it to a shop and forking out hundreds to a couple grand is not
in my budget or bank.

I have faith if I can find good illustrations and/or directions, I can do it. But so far, the resources I'm finding are not very good.
Im hoping someone can direct me to some good material or set-by-step imaging or thorough video.

Thank You Kindly

Last edited by Mychelle; 02-22-2018 at 03:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 06:35 PM
Contributor

Oh my for an intro for a DIY this is a tuff one to do well the first time.
The best i would do for a long distance over the keyboard guide is.......
Go to a salvage yard that offers a you pull it service. Find a 07-08 maybe even 09 Cobalt with the engine transaxle gone.
And look ant the wiring harness.

Now depending on the damage on your car you may be able to SPLICE a few wires or replace a cable assembly or 2. Now without more info no one can tell you what you MUST do.
Know this, there are wires in that area connected directly to the battery AND without trying can melt your hair curlers in an instant and cause a real mess to the rest of your car. So working on your car's wiring with the battery connected in NOT GOOD.

For documents for this your asking a question that is too general such as "how high is up".
The fastory GM Cobalt repair manual(very very expensive) will have the wiring schematics, cable assembly diagrams, connector locations all matching and cross referenced. Other repair manuals have general info geared more to those that have been doing repairs for some time. These may or may not have the info you need. Then again a soldering iron and good insulation matching wire size & colors & strips and a little piece of splice wire may be all that in necessary.

Take a few images and get a few shop estimates. Wiring harnesses or parts of them are not hot sellers at salvage yards for these cars. For many reasons. Condition and quality are just 2. Then again, you may not need an entire wire harness.

Good Luck on your adventure and let us know how your doing
and btw what part of Where is the Cobalt located and do you have it in a warm dry place to work on it?

BC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode