Flickering lights, rough idle, P0300 & P0650 - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Flickering lights, rough idle, P0300 & P0650

I have a 2006 Cobalt LS, and like the title says it has a really rough idle where the lights flickering and I'm getting both a P0300 code and a P0650. I just got the car a few weeks ago, it as almost 100,000 miles on it now. Sometimes it runs almost smoothly with very little to no flickering lights, other times it's bad. It also stalled on me one time while sitting in a parking lot, but that hasn't happened since. I'm thinking it might be a bad ground, possibly behind the instrument cluster due to the P0650 code. Does this seem like a reasonable suspicion? And if I pulled the fuse to the cluster and started it up, could that possibly confirm anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Sounds like somebody put the wrong spark plugs in or they've never been changed at all. Use only ACDelco dual iridium and they come pre-gapped. Don't try to gap these plugs.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
Sounds like somebody put the wrong spark plugs in or they've never been changed at all. Use only ACDelco dual iridium and they come pre-gapped. Don't try to gap these plugs.
The plugs are new but I'm not sure what type they are other than that they're ACDelco.

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 05:30 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Is it the original coil pack? Those are known to go bad and start arcing. If you you have a code reader that lets you count misfires see if you have higher misfires on 2 cylinders, this will indicate a bad coil pack.

post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Quote:
Is it the original coil pack? Those are known to go bad and start arcing. If you you have a code reader that lets you count misfires see if you have higher misfires on 2 cylinders, this will indicate a bad coil pack.
I do believe it's the original coil pack. I've e been considering replacing it but I thought I should rule out a bad ground before I throw parts at it.

There's sometimes an issue where both the parking brake light and check engine light don't show up, and when that happens the heater will only blow out of the main vents. Defrost won't work, cruise control won't work, etc. So I was thinking there's could be a loose connection or bad ground perhaps which would explain the P0650 code.

Sometimes the voltage jumps around between 13 and about 15.4 when the car is on, other times it stays in 14 volts area. My code reader doesn't show misfire counts, but I have a short video of the live data as well as a video showing the pulsing lights.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 03:11 PM
Newcomer

Hi I have a 2008 2.2 and she’s been running really poor. Surging while trying to maintain speed. Then I got a code for running too lean. Any help?
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobaltH View Post
I do believe it's the original coil pack. I've e been considering replacing it but I thought I should rule out a bad ground before I throw parts at it.

There's sometimes an issue where both the parking brake light and check engine light don't show up, and when that happens the heater will only blow out of the main vents. Defrost won't work, cruise control won't work, etc. So I was thinking there's could be a loose connection or bad ground perhaps which would explain the P0650 code.

Sometimes the voltage jumps around between 13 and about 15.4 when the car is on, other times it stays in 14 volts area. My code reader doesn't show misfire counts, but I have a short video of the live data as well as a video showing the pulsing lights.
Ah! Did you check the grounds under the driver's seat?

---------- Post added at 08:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomezfpt09 View Post
Hi I have a 2008 2.2 and she’s been running really poor. Surging while trying to maintain speed. Then I got a code for running too lean. Any help?
Leaking intake. Check clamps and look for holes.

post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Quote:

Ah! Did you check the grounds under the driver's seat?
I haven't checked that ground yet. I've checked all the grounds under the hood, and the one in the trunk and only one looked iffy and I went ahead and cleaned it. I'll be sure to take a look at the one under the driver's seat though now that you mention it!
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Okay, so I checked under the seat but I'm not sure if I've found a problem. I see a red wire and a yellow wire, but the connector that they go into feels pretty flimsy. Just brushing my fingers against it while feeling around was easily moving it. Is it it supposed to be like that? I hope to check again a little more thoroughly, but right now I'm just going on video from where I shoved my phone under there with a light and recorded.
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Sorry, the ground under the seat is under the carpet under the seat. I should have explained that better. there will be a clump of wires and a tie point to ground on a stud protruding from the floor panel. You will have to take the seat out for this one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode