Clutch Pedal Position Switch Woes..... - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Problems and Service Talk about any mechanical problems you are having

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Clutch Pedal Position Switch Woes.....

I picked up an 08 LT for my kid for cheap and am having an issue I cannot solve. The guy that had it before me replaced the clutch pedal position switch, but never mounted it back where it should be. He just had it zip tied to where the it allowed the car to start and duct taped under the dash. So I left it like that for a few days then my kid went to start the car, and almost hit my truck due to it being able to start when in gear without pushing in the clutch.( He is just learning how to drive a manual). So I figured I better get it back to the way it should be.
I disconnected it and tried and tried and tried and tried to get that position sensor mounted correctly. I cannot figure it out. I spent hours trying and broke 2 switches in the meantime. So I put it back how the previous owner had it. It starts and drives but after a mile or 2 the engine light comes on. It will not start after this unless I disconnect the battery to reset the engine light. It did not do this before I messed with it. I bought another new switch and am afraid to even attempt to get it in for fear of breaking the "fork" off of it. There has got to be a simple way to replace this thing. Any help? Any pics of how the Pedal position switch gets mounted???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
You can't just swap the switch. After the swap you have to do a relearn. You will need a Tech 2 or similer controller.

Clutch Pedal Position Sensor Learn
Important: The clutch pedal position (CPP) sensor learn procedure is required when the following service procedures have been performed regardless of whether DTC P080A is set:

• An engine control module (ECM) replacement

• A CPP sensor replacement

• Any repairs which affect the CPP sensor relationship

Install a scan tool.
Monitor the ECM for DTCs with a scan tool. If other DTCs are set, except DTC P080A, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle for the applicable DTC that set.
With a scan tool, select Clutch Pedal Position Learn under Module Setup in Manual Transmission, and perform the following instructions displayed on the scan tool screen.
Important: The CPP sensor learn procedure cannot be performed more than once per ignition cycle. The clutch pedal needs to be fully depressed and held steady throughout this procedure in order to perform a correct learning.

The scan tool will display under CPP Learn Status: Not Learned, In Process, Complete, Fail - Low Volt, Fail - High Volt, or Fail Moving. The scan tool will display under CPP Learn Status Complete if the process was successful.
If the scan tool indicates that DTC P080A ran and passed this ignition the CPP sensor learn procedure is complete. If the scan tool indicates DTC P080A failed or did not run this ignition, refer to DTC P080A. If any other DTC is set, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle for the applicable DTC.
Turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds after the learn procedure has successfully completed in order to store the CPP sensor variation values in ECM history.

But here is the installation procedure.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Thanks. Sorry for my ignorance, but that looks like I need to take the whole pedal assembly out???? I talked to a mechanic today about the learning procedure.
He is going to do that for me. I am just trying to save some cash in putting the switch in. They told me 300 bucks to install. I figured I would see if I could do it myself the have them use their scan tool for the rest. Maybe I should cough up the cash for them if I need to take the whole pedal out....I never did anything like that before.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pullintoobs View Post
Thanks. Sorry for my ignorance, but that looks like I need to take the whole pedal assembly out????
No you don't have to take the pedal out but you may have to contort your body to get to where it needs to go, or maybe remove the front seat and lay on your back.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode