Cobalt Recall: Ignition Switch - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Recalls & Service Bulletins Chevy Cobalt Recalls & Service Bulletins

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 354 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Initiate

Cobalt Recall: Ignition Switch

The 2005-2007 Cobalt and 2007 G5 have ignition switches that can turn the key to the off position without warning.

They have faulty ignition switches that can loosen if there is "added weight" on the key chain or from shaking when driven over a bumpy road. As a result, the key could inadvertently switch to the off position, which would then disable all power assists and any safety features, such as airbags.

Dealers will replace the ignition switch for free.

Until this repair can be made, remove unessential items from your keychain.

Owners can call Chevrolet at 1-800-222-1020

Source

'08 LT Sport Coupe

Last edited by Bronxknight28; 04-15-2014 at 01:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 354 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 02:34 PM
Initiate

So I called GM, this is legit, they are working on prototypes for new ignition cylinders, They put me on they recall wait list, I feel like mine is faulty, had to strip my keychain bare...any swinging objects was like a kill switch lol

I found a similar link More Than 750,000 Chevrolet Cobalts and Pontiac G5s Recalled After Six Deaths Related to Ignition Fault ? News ? Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog
post #3 of 354 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 08:52 PM
Forum Regular

I've never had any problems with my ignition, but I won't turn down a free fix for something that could result in injury to person or vehicle. If wait lists are involved, I might just wait a few months until I drop by

post #4 of 354 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 11:07 AM
Chevy Customer Service
YourCobalt.com Premium MemberExpert

Hello everyone,

If you haven't already reached out to your dealerships regarding the recent recall notice, please feel free to reach out to us if we can answer any additional questions or concerns.

Thanks,

Amber N. (assisting Erica)
Chevrolet Customer Care

Have you checked into Chevrolet Owner Center? You can maintain service history, check on warranty or recall information, and more. Visit my.chevrolet.com!
post #5 of 354 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

I called my dealer and they said they haven't even gotten. The paperwork in yet so they can't do anything till next week sometime

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #6 of 354 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 01:04 PM
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyCustSvc View Post
Hello everyone,

If you haven't already reached out to your dealerships regarding the recent recall notice, please feel free to reach out to us if we can answer any additional questions or concerns.

Thanks,

Amber N. (assisting Erica)
Chevrolet Customer Care
i just emailed my dealer in muskegon mi. and they told me my cobalt was not on the recall list i have a 2006 car. right in the middle of the years in question. so what gives? below is the email i sent and got back i gave my vin to her and this is what she said. so customer service tell me what is going on here? here is the vin 1g1aL55f867722153

Re: 2006 Cobalt

Jodi Clark
Today at 3:44 PM

To

bob p

I will put your name on the list Bob, it could be that GM has not updated the site quite yet, at this time we are placing names on a list, and checking periodically to see if it shows up. We will then contact you when it shows up on the GM site. Until it is on that sight we cannot do anything.The recall is still new and not all systems are updated. I will contact you once the recall shows up. You may continue to check with us as well. My direct line is 231-759-5774 and I will be more than happy to keep you posted.

Thank you,

Jodi Clark

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 3:29 PM, bob p <[email protected]> wrote:

how is it they said the cobalt's are going to be recalled for the key switch from 2005 to 2007. and i have the 2006 in the middle so how is it my car will not be in the recall? thanks

To: bob p <[email protected]>
Sent: Monday, February 24, 2014 3:05 PM
Subject: Re: 2006 Cobalt

Bob,

Thank you for the information, your vehicle is not included in the recall for the cobalts. Let me know if you still need to schedule an appointment for any service work.

Jodi Clark

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 3:03 PM, bob p <[email protected]> wrote:

here is the vin
1g1aL55f867722153

if the car is in the recall i can change the parts providing the car doesn't have to be reprogrammed again. if i need to bring it in fridays or saturday is better, i work thirds shift and sleep days. thanks bob palmer.

To: [email protected]
Sent: Monday, February 24, 2014 10:03 AM
Subject: 2006 Cobalt

Hello Bob,

I received your email on the 2006 Cobalt. I will need your VIN number to see if your car is involved in the recall. You can find it on your insurance card, registration or on your dash where your window on driverside meets the hood of the car. Please get back to me either email or my direct line below to find out more information. Thank you.

---------- Post added at 04:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:02 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanman35 View Post
I called my dealer and they said they haven't even gotten. The paperwork in yet so they can't do anything till next week sometime

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
so why is it everyone in the country knows about this but the dealers? sounds like they are stalling again. like they did when the problem started.

post #7 of 354 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 03:43 PM
Chevy Customer Service

Hi corvairbob,

Sorry if there's been any confusion with your dealership. All Cobalt models spanning from 2005-2007 are included in the recall. There has been a delay with updating the system to link VINs to the recall, so that might be the reason your dealership responded that way.

We are working with our suppliers to expedite the availability of parts. We expect to have parts available beginning in April. Customers will receive a letter in early April. If you have any questions in the meantime, please feel free to let me know.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Have you checked into Chevrolet Owner Center? You can maintain service history, check on warranty or recall information, and more. Visit my.chevrolet.com!
post #8 of 354 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 03:56 PM
Initiate

Is the recall also for Canada?
post #9 of 354 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 07:29 PM
Chevy Customer Service

Hi sLAsh,

Please feel free to reach out to GM of Canada regarding your concern. Their number is 800-263-3777. Thank you.

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care

---------- Post added at 10:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sLAsh View Post
Is the recall also for Canada?

Last edited by ChevyCustSvc; 02-24-2014 at 07:32 PM.
post #10 of 354 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 03:25 AM
Contributor

Didn't know we had Chevy CS rep right here amongst the crew - nice resource and thanks Kristen for being there to assist.

I'm not the original owner of our 06 Cobalt, but did register VIN on GM's website...is there anything else needed to ensure we get notifications of these safety issues?

V/r,
Tim

06 Cobalt LS (for my daughter)
MSgt, USAF (Retired)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode