Lower Control Arm Bushing. (Please Help :() - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Lower Control Arm Bushing. (Please Help :()

So I’m having a major issue getting the bolt out of the lower control arm bushing. I used a 24 volt cordless impact wrench with a 6 sided 21mm socket and spun the mounting hardware off the top. (No big deal, I can fix this issue)
The bolt though is now seized in the steal sleeve and moving otherwise freely in the frame. I’ve attempted to burn and cut out the bushing so I can get a pair of vice grips attached to the sleeve and remove the bolt that way. Still no luck.. I have used pb Blaster and a lithium version of Blaster, knocking at the sleeve and bolt with chisels and hammer, heating using a large and a small propane and butane torch. Still, no luck.
I’d really appreciate any advice on this topic. Also if anyone has the same problem let me know how you fixed it?
Thanks in advance, Coby and I appreciate it greatly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 08:40 AM
Newcomer

I'm not sure that I understand correctly what has happen. Here's what I think you are trying to describe.

Firstly, you are talking about the vertical bolt where the firewall meets the floor.
Next the bolt is spinning but not coming out.

If this is correct then the problem is the missing mounting bracket on the top.

This happen to my 05.

There is a square nut on the top of the bolt, above the frame and just below the floor pan.
I had to weld mine to the frame to stop the nut from spinning. I welded it from reaching over the frame work, but you my get better access from the wheel well.

Just don't weld the nut to the bolt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode