Stock Brake Rotors Rusting/Rotting out??? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Send a message via Yahoo to finnscobalt
Stock Brake Rotors Rusting/Rotting out???

Are the factory brake rotors really this bad???? I have read many people haveing problems with their rotors warping and wearing wrong, but I have another issue. When I looked at my rotors today (at only 63,000 miles) I noticed that they are rusting in the center cooling area between the contact surfaces where the pads touch. They are rusting out so bad that they are actually losing chunks of material and obviously ruing the balance of the rotating assembly. I was hoping to last til tax return time to do a total brake component swap(ie rotors and pad) but I guess I have to do this as soon as I get back home from the military school where I am at now. Anyone else encounter this issue, and if you have not, you might want to check your rotors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 04:53 PM
Newcomer

that happend to me when i had 24,000 miles and got them replaced under warranty after arguing with them for like 1 or 2 hours LOL

'06 SS/SC G85 Mods-CAI, Megan Cat-back exhaust,Ingallls Torque Damper, Hurst Short Throw, CX Racing Heat Exchanger. Upcoming Mods-Stage 2,Header & Downpipe, etc....
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 11:01 PM
Forum Regular

factory anythings usually mean low quality. Mine's doing that too, but all vehicles up here(MN) do that. The heat cycles plus the rain, snow, and salt kinda accelerates the process.

Usually the aftermarket world addresses these problems instead of the factory. Some NAPA rotors should do the trick(always bought all my rotors for my past various vehicles from there, high quality)

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 11:22 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to camopaint0707
i got some new power slot rotors, stainless steel lines, and ebc pads

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 06:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnscobalt View Post
Are the factory brake rotors really this bad???? I have read many people haveing problems with their rotors warping and wearing wrong, but I have another issue. When I looked at my rotors today (at only 63,000 miles) I noticed that they are rusting in the center cooling area between the contact surfaces where the pads touch. They are rusting out so bad that they are actually losing chunks of material and obviously ruing the balance of the rotating assembly. I was hoping to last til tax return time to do a total brake component swap(ie rotors and pad) but I guess I have to do this as soon as I get back home from the military school where I am at now. Anyone else encounter this issue, and if you have not, you might want to check your rotors.
thats weird because i just had my car at my dealership yesterday getting some warranty work done and while it was there they called and said that my rotors were rusting (i have somewhere around 28,000 miles!). Said they'd fix it for $90, guess my warranty wouldnt cover it? looks like i'm getting drilled/slotted rotors in the near future! lol but the guys at the shop said they see a lot of cobalts coming in with that problem...

Last edited by taerae86; 09-15-2009 at 06:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode