Snow Wheels - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Snow Wheels

Howdy,

I'm not going through another winter on all-season tires so I'm looking at some snow wheel sets as suggested by TireRack. The recommended package consists of 14" wheels with tires of size 195/70R14. Perhaps this would look strange on the Cobalt (4-lug pattern) but the price tag is appealing. Will these wheels actually fit the car?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 11:44 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
As long as it is a 4x100 bolt pattern.

I wonder about clearing the front brakes though...

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 01:30 PM
Forum God

should be fine. unless yourve upgraded the brakes they should clear fine

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 04:01 PM
Veteran

From what I've read, you really shouldn't go with a smaller wheel than 15". I don't remember the reasoning (you would think it wouldn't matter since you can go up in size or down in size on an SS...they put 16" winter wheels/tires)...but I do remember reading that it's not recommended to go below the 15" size...I don't think it has to do with fitment.

Anyway, I bought my car in June 07 and in the fall of 07 I bought an aftermarket set of steel wheels and Hankook winter ipike w407 tires from Discount Tire Direct...I ended up paying $260 shipped to my door for mounted and balanced tires with steel wheels. They had a deal going on at the time...buy a set of wheels and get $100, but a set of tires get $100 off...I took advantage of both offers. I haven't seen another offer the same since then.

I'll tell you what though, I would never have trusted my OEM Continental tires to the winter...they were horrible in wet and dry, didn't want to imagine winter driving with them...I was so happy I went with winter tires and wheels.

My suggestion is to keep to 195 or narrower tires...since in winter you want as narrow as possible to "plow" through the snow rather than a large patch of contact area like dry traction.

-Mike
|07' LS Sedan|Ultra Silver|Auto|MTX X Thunderlink|Debadged|35% Tint|Sportlines|Injen CAI|ARK Antenna|ARK STB| OTTP "Street" bar|Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position 205-60-15|Hawk PC pads|PowerSlot Slotted rotors|

Not installed yet: Pacesetter Header|Exhaust Depot DP|LSJ Cat-Back|Injen Hydroshield|MSR 045 18x8 Black w/ Red Pinstripe
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 06:13 PM
Staff Alumni

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP81 View Post
As long as it is a 4x100 bolt pattern.

I wonder about clearing the front brakes though...
thats what i was thinking.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

I'd prefer to buy a set of 15" steel wheels. There are a number of places that sell them for the Cobalt, but I've not found a place that sells a complete winter steel wheel package that can be delivered to my door step. I'll probably go with cheap 15" alloys shod with good snow tires.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 07:40 AM
OBZ
Staff AlumniDedicated

I had a set of 14 inch wheels on my car last year. They were close to the breaks but fit just fine!

"A wise man speaks because he has something to say,
A fool speaks because he has to say something"
OBZ's showoff thread!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 08:42 AM
Say What again!

Garage
They definitely have to look funky, that's for sure!

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 08:47 AM
OBZ
Staff AlumniDedicated

Here was my car on 14's I was also lowered on SSC springs

And a little vid of me burning the tires off them lol

Its funny how much faster little/light weight wheels make the car!

"A wise man speaks because he has something to say,
A fool speaks because he has to say something"
OBZ's showoff thread!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 08:51 AM
Say What again!

Garage
Haha - those are soooo cuuuuute!! Hahahaha.

They don't look half bad, actually.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode