Lowering Springs Install Costs - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
Lowering Springs Install Costs

how much do lowering springs costs to get installed...i asked a garage today and he said $300 which to me sounds like a load of horse pucky

so how much did you guys pay

n theres no way in hell i could do it myself

07 ls coupe, 5spd...20% tint in back, 35% tint driver and passenger..magnaflow..blacken bowties..chrome wheels...debaged....tinted head lights..niteshades tail lights..Ozzy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 07:36 PM
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to Viper33884 Send a message via MSN to Viper33884 Send a message via Yahoo to Viper33884
Yea it's not cheap, and I did mine myself...not very hard just need some tools and a couple hours.

Ryan aka Viper33884 | '06 Cobalt SS 2.4L | Userbars.com Admin
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 08:43 PM
Forum God

Not hard at all. Did mine twice with spring compressor and the last time I figured out how to do them without. Real easy to do without the compressors

Dropped Carbon Fiber SS, Project JDM

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 08:56 PM
Contributor

was 201$ for me to get mine installed. I wasnt about to mess something up trying to play mechanic in an area I wasnt familiar with.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 10:44 PM
Newcomer

Send a message via AIM to REDLTZ
Easy to do by yourself.... Then again Im used to installing springs.... anywho
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 05:47 AM
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to Viper33884 Send a message via MSN to Viper33884 Send a message via Yahoo to Viper33884
Quote:
Originally Posted by hailcesar75 View Post
Not hard at all. Did mine twice with spring compressor and the last time I figured out how to do them without. Real easy to do without the compressors
Also real dangerous.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 06:24 AM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerForum God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to lobalt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper33884 View Post
Also real dangerous.
x2 on that!
Me & my friends lower different types of vehicles all the time... we were doing my 03 eclipse GT one day & decided to see what it would do w/o the compressors... i mean, we KNEW what would happen, we just wanted to do it... that car was in bad shape to begin with so after he took the strut bolts & stuff off the cup wouldnt break from the spring-i imagine rust or something, who knows, i didnt have this car long cuz it was in such bad shape-anyways, so he had to take a rubber hammer to get it to break free... i went to the other side of the garage cuz i didnt want the spring takin my legs or my face off... well needless to say... we wont be trying that ever again... it broke off & flew across the garage & slammed into the wall... but, this was years ago, just curious to see what would happen, NOW we know...

but to get back on topic... (haha)
idk what shops charge for springs cuz we do it ourselves (i say we b/c im not exactly the strongest girl in the world, so i just help, its great to have minitruckin friends, lol) maybe see if you have any friend-connections to some1 w/ that kind of ability... idk, worth a shot?

Christy // 2008 HHR SS // instagram: cjay117
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 03:59 PM
Forum Regular

Quick off topic, some of the other guys I worked with watched a spring compressor come apart because they did not use the safeties and it almost killed a guy.... I use the wall mounted style here at work and back at my last job, much safer.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 04:02 PM
Veteran

Local shop did mine for $100+$40 for alignment and $10 to rotate my tires, total of $150.

Injen CAI/SRI Intake/2.25" Custom Catback Exhaust/Eibach Sportline Springs/17" Drag Concept Rim/ARK Shorty Antenna/Black Out Tail Lights, Side Markers, 3rd Break Light
2006 Black LS
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 04:38 PM
Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ramphex
Don't know how much a shop would charge but I did 2 cars, mine 2 times by myself (with stock struts/shocks then with koni yellows), did a dodge neon with another person help, didn't really need it but always good to have some... all you need is some compressors you can rent from autozone or advance auto parts (rental is free, just pay the deposit and get it back once you return them) and some wrenches, I also got an impact gun from walmart, used it for the task and then returned it (to take off the top strut bolt)... but yeah bro, the process is really easy just a little time consuming, definitely worth saving the money you would at a shop though.

2010 Cobalt SS: Full Bolt-Ons, tuned. -- Sold.
2014 WW Evo GSR: S/S & Interior Package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode