Winter Rim/tire Fit? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Forum God

Winter Rim/tire Fit?

Hey guys,

I recently bought my new cobalt ls 2009, but before that I had a 2001 civic, and I had bought winter tires for it (a week b4 buyin my 'balt) and slapped them on a pair of steel rims I had from the civic that weren't bein used. The tire fit is fine for the car, the dealer checked in his little computer fit guide. But the rims are 14 inch i believe (1'' smaller than the stock rims) and i figured they would fit. Anyone have an idea if they will fit or not? my friend from canadian tire told me I may have trouble fitting them on cuz they had trouble with cobalt rim fitting, but that I could just take a grinder and lightly grind the outside top of the caliper to ensure no rubbing. That's sort of a last option though i rly dont wanna buy new tires again!

*EDIT* moderators, I messed up this thread. It belongs in suspension/rims/tires section can you please move it?

Last edited by BboyTaktix; 11-13-2009 at 06:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 08:07 AM
Contributor

DO NOT GRIND YOUR CALIPER. That's absurd. Don't damage your car just to make a wheel fit. See if they do, if not, you'll need a new set.

If you have to buy new tires, buy new tires... Sell your current set online at a slight discount even if they're brand new. In Québec you shouldn't have any issue selling a winter wheel/tire combo, especially in such a common bolt pattern (4x100, correct?). It sucks that you have to buy a new set, but I guarantee any money you lose is far outweighed by damaging your vehicle intentionally.

2009 Cobalt SS/TC - Black, Black/Black Int., G85, Sunroof, debadged - SOLD
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 04:54 PM
Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ramphex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Force View Post
DO NOT GRIND YOUR CALIPER. That's absurd. Don't damage your car just to make a wheel fit. See if they do, if not, you'll need a new set.

If you have to buy new tires, buy new tires... Sell your current set online at a slight discount even if they're brand new. In Québec you shouldn't have any issue selling a winter wheel/tire combo, especially in such a common bolt pattern (4x100, correct?). It sucks that you have to buy a new set, but I guarantee any money you lose is far outweighed by damaging your vehicle intentionally.
x100

2010 Cobalt SS: Full Bolt-Ons, tuned. -- Sold.
2014 WW Evo GSR: S/S & Interior Package

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
Forum God

*UPDATE* The tires and rims fit perfectly with pretty much no room to spare! they spin perfectly well and I am thrilled not to have to spend more money on winter tires/rims. I will be putting them on in a week or two, when the first snow comes. :'( bye bye summer see you in 6 months
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 02:25 PM
XFE
Wootsauce!
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to XFE
moved to suspension/ wheel/etc...

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 05:27 PM
OBZ
Staff AlumniDedicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by BboyTaktix View Post
*UPDATE* The tires and rims fit perfectly with pretty much no room to spare! they spin perfectly well and I am thrilled not to have to spend more money on winter tires/rims. I will be putting them on in a week or two, when the first snow comes. :'( bye bye summer see you in 6 months
I was about 95% sure they would fit. I did the same thing except the opposite last year. I put my cobalt wheels with snow tires on them on an 89 acura integra. Fit just fine, but rubbed slightly on hard left turns.. I also put the 14's on the cobalt with no issues..

"A wise man speaks because he has something to say,
A fool speaks because he has to say something"
OBZ's showoff thread!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
Forum God

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBZ View Post
I was about 95% sure they would fit. I did the same thing except the opposite last year. I put my cobalt wheels with snow tires on them on an 89 acura integra. Fit just fine, but rubbed slightly on hard left turns.. I also put the 14's on the cobalt with no issues..
cool. Im so happy they fit specially since the lineups here to buy winter tires and change them over to rims is loong as hell...luckily i change my own tires on my ride...my parents keep tellin my sis to get them done or take an appointment cuz the minimum wait time is like 2-3 weeks now, and getting worse. I told my sis to just switch the tire to the rim, and give them to me, i'll have them installed in 15 minutes! stubborn family.

finally mods moved the thread lol, thanx.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode