Question Regarding Brakes - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Question Regarding Brakes

I have an 05 cobalt sedan that i bought a year ago used and it came with relatively new rotors + brakes on the front. these were the cheapest rotors/pads there. absolutely lowest quality.

the back drums weren't replaced.

however the braking suffers. it feels horribly spongy. pushing the pedal 50% in doesn't do anything. from 50 to 75% it is higly effective. pushing it to the floor has the same effect as pushing it 75%. so there's a lot of travel for the pedal before it does anything.

i want to improve the braking power and also the feel of the pedal. i'd like the pedal to engage much higher, say just barely after i tap it, instead of having to slam my foot hard on it.

i was thinking about buying some drilled/slotted rotors for the front with EBC green stuff pads.

should i replace the rear drum brakes as well, or are they not as important.

and does anyone know why the brake pedal feels so spongy? btw, its non-abs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 06:45 PM
Contributor

Sounds like a brake fluid issue. If your brake peddle is going down that far it has nothing to do with your rotors or pads. You may have a leak or you are low on fluid. Spongy brakes are caused by air in the line. You need to check your brake fluid and bleed your lines and see if that helps.

Shorty Antenna, Painted Calipers, SAI K&N Intake, B&G Lowering Springs, FE5 Shocks and Struts, Moog End Links, Moog Tie Rod Ends, Polk Audio DXi650 Speakers - front and back.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 06:53 PM
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Send a message via Yahoo to finnscobalt
Yea, second the previuos post, sounds like your brake lines need to be bled. Try that first and then if not, then work on the brake upgrade.

sig pic courtesy of GBALT05

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

so how much travel is there on your Cobalts before the car starts to slow down?

for me I got to press 50% before the pads engage
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 08:06 PM
Cobalt Master

Garage
Pretty close to instant, not much travel at all. Theres something up with your lines, or the master cylinder is going.

^^<==---___-A_m_e_r_i_c_a_n M_u_s_c_l_e-___---==>^^
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 10:29 PM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerCobalt Master

air in the line = moisture = rotted brake lines. I would do a brake system flush if your brakes aren't making noise, rotors are not warped and you still have pad life. after that if it's still bad I'd change the brakes.

check for fluid seeping behind the master onto the brake booster. also, remove the check valve and stick your finger in it to make sure there's no signs of fluid in case it leaked into the booster. also, check the wheel cylinders in your rear drums. flip up the rubber boots and make sure there's no fluid leaking.

Last edited by ff_drift_lol; 12-07-2009 at 10:31 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 05:47 AM
XFE
Wootsauce!
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to XFE
you need a brake job overhaul. get new rotors and pads, probably wouldn't hurt to check the rears while your at it. and have it done properly or professionally.

Brakes are one thing you NEVER cheap out on. EVER.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 06:39 AM
Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ramphex
Yeah definitely don't go cheap on brakes. For the pedal issue, it's 90% likely just your fluid issue... it's an 05, don't think there will be any problems with your brake lines yet, possibly master cylinder but to diagnose that might as well just do a full fluid flush and while there upgrade to dot4. As for the pads and rotors, since you're going to be taking off the wheels to bleed the brakes might as well replace those too, go with good stuff... also if you don't know how to do it yourself, take it to the shop, you'll pay arm and a leg but atleast it will get done right.

2010 Cobalt SS: Full Bolt-Ons, tuned. -- Sold.
2014 WW Evo GSR: S/S & Interior Package
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 04:02 PM
Contributor

So? What did you find out?

Shorty Antenna, Painted Calipers, SAI K&N Intake, B&G Lowering Springs, FE5 Shocks and Struts, Moog End Links, Moog Tie Rod Ends, Polk Audio DXi650 Speakers - front and back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode