Suspension Question - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Forum God

Suspension Question

How many of you replaced this nut when you took it off? because ive talked to a tech and a few other guys and they told me I should replace them when I take them off!

2006 Cobalt: Bolt On's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 01:52 PM
Forum God

I've removed that nut like 4 times already. No need to replace

Dropped Carbon Fiber SS, Project JDM

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Forum God

Ok...wasnt sure I didnt know if i should or not ive had people tell me I should and people who say I dont have to! lol

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 02:04 PM
Forum God

Why are you removing it?

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Forum God

Don't i have to when installing my springs? or do I just take the 3 little strut mount nuts off! lol Im new to suspension thats why im waiting and doing it in my suspension class at school! -just not confident in tackling it with little info that i do kno! lol

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 02:27 PM
Forum God

Yeas you do. Here's a tip, loosen that nut before you do anything else. But don't remove it

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Forum God

Ok so just loosen it and do not remove it?

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 02:36 PM
Forum God

Right. It's a ***** to loosen when the struts off

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 03:07 PM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerCobalt Master

jeez, nothing personal hail don't get mad but I need to correct this situation.

the PROPER way to do this is to use a strut socket and an allen (hex) socket. you can see a hex/torx socket in the top of the strut rod. DO NOT loosen it while it's on the car, you are in great danger if you do this because the spring is under pressure and could fly off and take your face out. besides, even if it's still on the car the strut rod will spin.

the style below, you use an open end on the top of the socket and stick an allen key in the top where the 3/4 drive would normally go into the torx on the top of the strut rod. now use a box wrench to get more torque with the allen key. loosen the nut using the open end/socket.

now, another method is using an impact gun and getting a good grip on the strut mount/bearing. I don't bother with the strut socket personally, but spinning the strut rod is not good for the valve at all. no harm done so far but I only trust myself with it.

and to answer your question, it is not completely necessary to replace the top nut, but it is a known thing that if you have a lock type nut with the plastic ring at the top, it's supposed to be a one time use. the plastic weakens every time you remove it.

if you're alright with re-using it which in my opinion isn't that half assed, just use a little loc-tite blue or a tiny dot of red.

Last edited by ff_drift_lol; 12-13-2009 at 03:15 PM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 03:31 PM
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff_drift_lol View Post
jeez, nothing personal hail don't get mad but I need to correct this situation.

the PROPER way to do this is to use a strut socket and an allen (hex) socket. you can see a hex/torx socket in the top of the strut rod. DO NOT loosen it while it's on the car, you are in great danger if you do this because the spring is under pressure and could fly off and take your face out. besides, even if it's still on the car the strut rod will spin.

the style below, you use an open end on the top of the socket and stick an allen key in the top where the 3/4 drive would normally go into the torx on the top of the strut rod. now use a box wrench to get more torque with the allen key. loosen the nut using the open end/socket.

now, another method is using an impact gun and getting a good grip on the strut mount/bearing. I don't bother with the strut socket personally, but spinning the strut rod is not good for the valve at all. no harm done so far but I only trust myself with it.

and to answer your question, it is not completely necessary to replace the top nut, but it is a known thing that if you have a lock type nut with the plastic ring at the top, it's supposed to be a one time use. the plastic weakens every time you remove it.

if you're alright with re-using it which in my opinion isn't that half assed, just use a little loc-tite blue or a tiny dot of red.

Sorta...

Breaking the nut loose while the strut is in the car if fine, and can save you time and work. It has a few turns until it actually comes off. It will not spin if it is still mounted in the car. Also the spring will not shoot out at your face.. lol. But when you remove the bottom mounting bolts it will shoot down if you took the nut all the way off. Obviously dont remove it all the way until the spring is compressed. I went through two hex bolts until i said fk it and broke it loose in the car. You should replace the nut. Nylocks plastic, locks best when it is originally threaded on.

Your explanation works will if you read it from a book, but if you have actually done it, this is the best way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode