Some Questions About Lowering. - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Some Questions About Lowering.

I have some questions about lowering my monster truck cobalt. The problem is that I live in Canada where we get alot of snow fall. I want to lower the car only enough so that my 18's dont look like 16's. But on the other hand I dont want to lower it so much that it becomes a snow plow in the winter season. So my main question; is there a lowering system that would allow me to lower it in the summer season and return it to stock in the winter? Preferably something that would not cost an arm and a leg. And if that is not possible, is there anyone out there who does have their cobalt lowered and live in an area with alot of snow fall? If so, do you get a lot of problems with the snow? I just dont want to bust my bumper all to hell. Ok thanks for your time guys.

-Cao Cao

snap

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 04:03 AM
Forum Regular

mine isnt lowered but when i go up the begging of a steep hill it scratches the bumper a liitle. and when i go down my friends driveway the muffler scrapes against the road. my friends box scion was lowered with airbox shox and when it was at it's lowest it would plow speed bumps so he had to raise it up every time we entered the schools parking lot.

so just think that with lowering it may be dangerous but if u were to get a body kit that would be the worst.
adding body kits, lowering springs,performance chips, ect isnt really for everyday driving, just saying. If i were to do all that crap to my car i would make sure i have a primary car for trips and bad weather use.

dont get me wrong...just lowering springs is fine but just saying the springs wont be best in snow..

as of being able to ajust heigth in different seasons, idk if there is a spring for that, you would have to put a higher spring or stock spring back on in the snow season or u could get air springs but that would cost like a thousand and will probably break once a year with 300 dollar repair...

so just get any size springs in summer and switch back to stock in winter, i would only do that if u or somebody u know can install for free; plus a lot of people do that with rims/tires and switch to the stock all season tires in winter then just switch back in spring
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 07:51 AM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerCobalt Master

adjustable coilovers, coilover springs by ground control, airbags...that's about it for adjustable height. these things really aren't that low so dropping a few inches is probably a good idea. just do it man lol

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 07:58 AM
Expert

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to golfin
drop you car, and if your having issues with snow, just take a section of your house roof off and put it infront of you car, heck you might even be able to charge people to plow their driveway....j/p these guys said it right if you want to spend $1000 you can get coilovers or spend $2500 and get it bagged so that it is adjustable but if you dont have that kind of cash either switch back and forth between springs or just plow away

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 08:25 AM
mmmm rice<3
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
i was looking at this yesterday, the most expensive set (on ebay) that's a name brand is a little over 1g. the cheapest set which i still believe is a name brand is around 700-750. just get springs, if ya gotta problem, swap them out with the stockers.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 08:35 AM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerCobalt Master

the lowest you'll pay is 900 for megans shipped from ebay if you want coilovers. if you want, have tein make you a custom set for about 6 grand. but by no means is a set of megans a bad set of coilovers.
airbags you can do for about 1200 but unless you spend 2500+ youre just asking for problems.
the ground control adjustable coils work on your stock struts and just come with adjustable perches. they're about 450 shipped.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 10:27 AM
Forum God

lower it and if it damages your front bumper, you'll have an excuse to get the ss bumper
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 12:29 PM
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Send a message via Yahoo to finnscobalt
Another issue that noone really talks about is speed bumps and entering parking lots. I only have a body kit with no suspension mods and depending on where I go, anywhere in the US, there are parking lots that I cannot enter or once I get in it is like an obstacle course avoiding speedbumps. Here is are pics with one of the lowest speedbumps I have encountered.

Now imagine a lowered vehicle.
When we go out and visit the inlaws we have to take our truck due to the fact that where they live the roads are horrible and many steep inclines into driveways and parking lots.

sig pic courtesy of GBALT05
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Ok, thanks for the advice guys. Im thinking to just get some lowering springs and just deal with it. I tend to drive carefully as is so, even in the winter I'll just park where its clear if my lot is snowed in lol.

snap

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 03:34 PM
Forum Regular

i think you will be fine with the snow if ur city plows and salts the streets after it snows...but if u live where hardly any cars come by u may have a problem not bcuz of the springs but ur car may get stuck period. I'd just chill untill the day after it snows so other cars can make a "path" kind of. just stay in the inside lane or close to the middle of the road as much as possible bcuz here theres always snow pilled up on the outside of the lanes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode