Lowering My Cobalt LS Got a Few Questions - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Garage
Lowering My Cobalt LS Got a Few Questions

I got a couple questions about lowering my girlfriend's cobalt.

First off I am wondering what some of you would recommend as far as coilovers. She does not race my car or anything so this would strictly be for looks. I am wondering what brands produce better more reliable products.

Also, I am wondering if we would have to eventually replace struts or shocks with lowering her car. We would only drop it maybe 2 inches depending on what her stock parts could handle. I know on my car if I go any lower then 2 inches i'd have to get camber kits to fix the extra load put on the wheels. Do cobalts have that same problem?

Also I know that this isnt a suspension question, but I was wondering what you guys might think about the SS high spoiler put onto the LS. I am considering picking one up and replacing the low stock wing. I've been trying to find a pic of an LS with the SS spoiler but I haven't been too lucky yet.

Thanks for the help I really appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 05:49 PM
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Send a message via AIM to GBALT05
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleycoaster View Post
I got a couple questions about lowering my girlfriend's cobalt.

First off I am wondering what some of you would recommend as far as coilovers. She does not race my car or anything so this would strictly be for looks. I am wondering what brands produce better more reliable products.

Also, I am wondering if we would have to eventually replace struts or shocks with lowering her car. We would only drop it maybe 2 inches depending on what her stock parts could handle. I know on my car if I go any lower then 2 inches i'd have to get camber kits to fix the extra load put on the wheels. Do cobalts have that same problem?

Also I know that this isnt a suspension question, but I was wondering what you guys might think about the SS high spoiler put onto the LS. I am considering picking one up and replacing the low stock wing. I've been trying to find a pic of an LS with the SS spoiler but I haven't been too lucky yet.

Thanks for the help I really appreciate it.
I cant answer all the questions, BUT i can answer a few.
First things first. dont get coilovers if your not gonna race and if you want to drop it strictly for looks. coilovers= over $1K. springs= $100-300 dollars.
get springs if you want to just drop 2 inches. Ive got eibach sportlines, 2.5 inch drop in the rear, 2.0 inch drop in front. Look good, handle good, ride quality is pretty good.
A lot of people are still on stock struts and shocks. You will have to probably replace that after awhile though. If you can afford springs, struts/shocks all in one trip, do it i guess.
Personally, im on stock struts and shocks.

SS wing on LS? dont do it dude. looks out of place unless you have a body kit or something WITH lowering springs.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 05:52 PM
Veteran

From what I have read and heard, coilovers are the best way to go when it comes to lowering a car. I am lowered on Eibach Sportlines and I love them. It looks good and it is cheaper then coilovers. If you lower with the Eibach it is best if you replace the struts and shocks, but you don't have to right away. Your stock ones will hold up for a while. There are a lot of members lowered and still on stock struts and shocks. When it comes to the high rise wing, IMO it is up to the driver and what you like. I myself don't really care for the high rise, but its your call. Don't get me wrong the high rise looks good, but I prefer no wing. Hope that helps. If I have missed something please someone jump in.

Injen CAI/SRI Intake/2.25" Custom Catback Exhaust/Eibach Sportline Springs/17" Drag Concept Rim/ARK Shorty Antenna/Black Out Tail Lights, Side Markers, 3rd Break Light
2006 Black LS

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 05:54 PM
Expert

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Miss_Cobaltous2
i dont know anything about lowering but here is my LT (which is the same thing as the LS but with power options)

and im sure it would look alot better if it was lowered with the ss spoiler
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 05:55 PM
Forum God

Garage
B & G springs FTW...Agreed No racing=No use of coilovers. Looks= Springs...

SOLD! 2.2 TURBOCHARGED. GT28 TURBO, 60# INJECTORS, WISECO PISTONS, EAGLE CONNECTING RODS, ZZP 3" DOWNPIPE, PACESETTER EXHAUST, K&N INTAKE, CUSTOM COLDSIDE PIPING, DEJON HOTSIDE PIPING, 2.4 INTAKE MANIFOLD,2.4 THROTTLE BODY, TRIFECTA TUNED.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 06:11 PM
Forum God

Did someone say b&g springs lol

I think u should get springs. Don't pay $200 for any springs btw. U can get the good ones for under $200

---------- Post added at 09:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 PM ----------

B&G springs give the Balts the sexiest, sexiest stance besides coilovers. Now, that's if you can handle the ride. I bought myself some fe5 struts/shocks to make the ride more comfortable.

Dropped Carbon Fiber SS, Project JDM

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 06:12 PM
Forum God

Garage
I believe I did!! lol BTW still lookin for some...

SOLD! 2.2 TURBOCHARGED. GT28 TURBO, 60# INJECTORS, WISECO PISTONS, EAGLE CONNECTING RODS, ZZP 3" DOWNPIPE, PACESETTER EXHAUST, K&N INTAKE, CUSTOM COLDSIDE PIPING, DEJON HOTSIDE PIPING, 2.4 INTAKE MANIFOLD,2.4 THROTTLE BODY, TRIFECTA TUNED.

post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 06:15 PM
Forum God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_Cobaltous2 View Post
i dont know anything about lowering but here is my LT (which is the same thing as the LS but with power options)

and im sure it would look alot better if it was lowered with the ss spoiler

When are you gonna pose with ur car my sugarmama. Lol

Dropped Carbon Fiber SS, Project JDM

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 06:16 PM
Forum God

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hailcesar75 View Post
When are you gonna pose with ur car my sugarmama. Lol
When her sugar daddy takes the pics

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 06:23 PM
Expert

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Miss_Cobaltous2
haha probably during the summer when its hot!
but dont change the subject of this thread!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
coilover , lowering , spoiler

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode