Exactly What You Are Getting into when Lowering a Cobalt... (Sticky?) - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Exactly What You Are Getting into when Lowering a Cobalt... (Sticky?)

so as i have commonly read online and from many sources that lowering involves quite a bit of knowlage in order to do it safley and without altering the saftey of how the vehicle rides ect. is there an expert out there who wants to take the time to explain this system to some of us newbies in good detail? im considering lowering, but i want my car to remain stable ect. also how will this all effect warentees ect? the full story lol

Jake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 06:53 AM
Levee
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member
Admin

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Leveecius
Easy man! Get the springs you want, SSC or pedders seem to be the most common, get yourself some struts/shocks for it. Take it to a shop to have them install and align for you. You're done, a little expensive maybe, but not too hard.

However if you want to do it yourself, you are going to need a spring compressor and be able to take your time in doing it. THEN you are still going to have to get it aligned or you will eat through your tires VERY quickly. Just my $.02 though . If you need more help on doing it yourself, feel free to keep asking all the questions you want as at least I am here to help all those willing to learn.

'09 SS/TC - Stolen
Mods - Injen CAI, CIA MAF Relocate CP's, Dejon FMIC,
Custom 3" DP, 3" Exhaust, GT3076R, Pioneer AVH-4100DVD, Hurst STS, ZZP triple pod, Autometer Cobalt boost/DPIC/WB gauges, Nitto NT05 245/40/18's, H&R Springs, 80:20 Meth Spray
Future - KSport Kontrol Pro Coilovers, 10% Tint, FMIC spray
538whp/501wtq @38 psi on meth and 93 oct on stock ish motor

06 EVO IX MR/SE - Sold
Mods - *Updated 10/6/13* AEM TRUboost EBC, 4in custom TBE, SD dual 93/e85 tune, ETS 4in Race Core FMIC, Dual Aeromotive 400lph Fuel Pumps, T4 Tubular Manifold w/ dual WG's, FP Super99HTZ DBB Turbo, GSC 274 mivec cams, ARP headstuds/rod studs, FIC 2150cc Injectors, Aeromotive FPR, Aeromotive Fuel Rail, catch can, Mini Battery Kit, Slim Coolant Fan, Kiggly Racing high pressure valve Springs/Titanium Retainers, Supertech Stainless Steel Valves, Dual VTA Tial 44mm WG's, 4g64 Stroker Manley Pistons, 155mm 2.4 LR Manley Turbo Plus I Beam Rods with ARP 625 Studs, 100mm forged non-billet Manley Crankshaft, Full H/E PNP with Port Matching, Kiggly Racing Girdle, Dual Tial 50mm BOV's, Excedy Triple Disc Carbon HD Clutch, AEM EMS

'95 Ram 2500 Diesel
Mods - 5in TBE, Boost Elbow set to 28psi, Adjusted fuel pump, Open Turbo.

Future Mods- Super Street Clutch (rated @1400ftlbs tq), 67mm turbo, 160lb valve springs, added timing, tubular exhaust manifold, larger injectors, possible 6 spd swap.

Master ASE Certified Gasoline/Diesel Technician since 2004

Speed Junkies Social Group

Yourcobalt Official Facebook Page!

Syndicate of Tuners Official Page! Up and going again as of 1/11/13

Click here to PM me if you have questions or issues!

Last edited by Leveecius; 02-09-2010 at 06:56 AM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 09:49 AM
Expert

Garage
its not difficult to do. all u need is a socket set and jack and stands and ur good to go. it can be done for under 200 if u do the work urself.

07 Laser Blue LT Sedan
My Car Domain:http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3805600
4 Doors = More Whores

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

but doesnt this effect things like turning capabilities, the way that the car can handle certain maneuvers, allowable tire size, ect?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 11:46 AM
Levee
YourCobalt.com Premium Member
Admin

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Leveecius
in a way yes. If effects turning capabilites a lot as you will be able to turn MUCH better than the stock suspension. The handling will be a huge noticeable difference, I can garuntee that. Tire size, yes, it will effect that a little bit, but not much. As long as you aren't running 245/45/18's or bigger, you will be good, can garuntee that too

'09 SS/TC - Stolen
Mods - Injen CAI, CIA MAF Relocate CP's, Dejon FMIC,
Custom 3" DP, 3" Exhaust, GT3076R, Pioneer AVH-4100DVD, Hurst STS, ZZP triple pod, Autometer Cobalt boost/DPIC/WB gauges, Nitto NT05 245/40/18's, H&R Springs, 80:20 Meth Spray
Future - KSport Kontrol Pro Coilovers, 10% Tint, FMIC spray
538whp/501wtq @38 psi on meth and 93 oct on stock ish motor

06 EVO IX MR/SE - Sold
Mods - *Updated 10/6/13* AEM TRUboost EBC, 4in custom TBE, SD dual 93/e85 tune, ETS 4in Race Core FMIC, Dual Aeromotive 400lph Fuel Pumps, T4 Tubular Manifold w/ dual WG's, FP Super99HTZ DBB Turbo, GSC 274 mivec cams, ARP headstuds/rod studs, FIC 2150cc Injectors, Aeromotive FPR, Aeromotive Fuel Rail, catch can, Mini Battery Kit, Slim Coolant Fan, Kiggly Racing high pressure valve Springs/Titanium Retainers, Supertech Stainless Steel Valves, Dual VTA Tial 44mm WG's, 4g64 Stroker Manley Pistons, 155mm 2.4 LR Manley Turbo Plus I Beam Rods with ARP 625 Studs, 100mm forged non-billet Manley Crankshaft, Full H/E PNP with Port Matching, Kiggly Racing Girdle, Dual Tial 50mm BOV's, Excedy Triple Disc Carbon HD Clutch, AEM EMS

'95 Ram 2500 Diesel
Mods - 5in TBE, Boost Elbow set to 28psi, Adjusted fuel pump, Open Turbo.

Future Mods- Super Street Clutch (rated @1400ftlbs tq), 67mm turbo, 160lb valve springs, added timing, tubular exhaust manifold, larger injectors, possible 6 spd swap.

Master ASE Certified Gasoline/Diesel Technician since 2004

Speed Junkies Social Group

Yourcobalt Official Facebook Page!

Syndicate of Tuners Official Page! Up and going again as of 1/11/13

Click here to PM me if you have questions or issues!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Beamer Send a message via Yahoo to Beamer
spring compressor, sockets and tools needed and air compressor= done in 30 mins. Than take the car to be aligned as soon as possible.

My Gone But Not Forgotten Cobalt(s) Show off

2015 Fiat 500 Abarth | 2016 International Durastar

Check out my Youtube page
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

sweet, sounds like ive got myself a nice little project ahead of me. i wanna drop out a little of that wheel gap and get better turning capabilities, im thinking i will do this right after i do a sway bar
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 08:43 AM
Contributor

Garage
Send a message via MSN to droflakcin Send a message via Yahoo to droflakcin
i plan on doing some sportlines once it gets warmer out.. idk if im gonna do it myself or not.. maybe ill do it onbase. they have lifts =D

2005 Chevy Cobalt LS

I like constructive criticism.
https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/veh...tml#post321632
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 10:52 PM
Newcomer

Garage
If you do not get new struts, how long r the stock ones gonna last?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 09:08 PM
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09SilverLS View Post
so as i have commonly read online and from many sources that lowering involves quite a bit of knowlage in order to do it safley and without altering the saftey of how the vehicle rides ect. is there an expert out there who wants to take the time to explain this system to some of us newbies in good detail? im considering lowering, but i want my car to remain stable ect. also how will this all effect warentees ect? the full story lol

Jake
Its not rocket science to swap springs, just common sense. In the front you just gotta remove the struts its 3 nuts on top, 2 on the bottom and the swaybar. you can rent a spring compressor from autozone if you don't wanna buy one and be careful there is alot of energy stored in those springs. The back is uber easy you just have to unbolt the shocks and the (rear end) drops and you can pull the springs right out. But personaly I'd go the coilover way because if you just put lowering springs on its going to blow your struts and it rides like crap, I know I used to run eibach sportlines I'm much more happy with my stance gr+ coilovers. Its nice to have adjustable dampers. Take it somewhere for alignment when your done.

---------- Post added at 10:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt1 View Post
If you do not get new struts, how long r the stock ones gonna last?
Not long, atleast mine didn't but I drive my car like I stole it

Last edited by foxcobaltss; 02-12-2010 at 09:25 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode