I Saw Chip Foose Cut Springs - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 03:36 AM Thread Starter
Not justice...Punishment
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
I Saw Chip Foose Cut Springs

Ok now, this thread is not for starting crap, so please do not do it.

I was watching Overhauling, and Chip Foose was not satisfied with the ride height of the car they were building. They ended up cutting a coil out of each back spring on "D" day.

So, the question is, if you are conservative with the cutting is it possible to cut spring to lower a stock balt about 1.5 - 2 inches, and not "F" up your ride? Remember I am NOT talking about slamming it to the ground.

My thought is that if Chip Foose will cut springs, maybe the problems are a little blown out of proportion...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 05:14 AM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerForum God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to lobalt
you sir have a VM

Christy // 2008 HHR SS // instagram: cjay117
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 05:34 AM
Contributor

He cut the springs because it's TV and they had their "deadline". It's all about the drama.

Springs are engineered to compress within certain tolerances, all of this based on the actual size/tension of the springs themselves. Changing any variable ****s up the whole equation. This is ESPECIALLY important with the springs on modern cars, because they're variable rate! 1 inch of initial travel does NOT equal 1 inch of additional travel. For example, I've been told the TC's springs are 600+lb at their maximum, but they sure as hell aren't in minor corners.

Cutting springs is retarded, plain and simple.

2009 Cobalt SS/TC - Black, Black/Black Int., G85, Sunroof, debadged - SOLD

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 06:07 AM
Forum God

Yup i saw that to. I shook my head. lol

2006 Cobalt: Bolt On's
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 07:16 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
People have been cutting coils for a LONG time - as long as you don't go extreme, you'll be just fine.

That's with solid rate springs...variables are a total different animal.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 08:50 AM
Forum God

Garage
i cut my rear springs a tiny bit just to even it out with the front....im such a ricer :P

R.I.P. :(

Hello
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 09:51 AM
Expert

Garage
always thought that wasnt a safe route to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobaltxfe09 View Post
:bangs****ingheadagainstthewall: :throwshandsupindisgust: i give up...lol
this is when mike decided to give up his balt ^^

http://s4.zetaboards.com/Cobalt_Universe/index/
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 10:20 AM
Expert

Yeah don't take any car show on T.V. as automotive gospel. I couldn't have said it any better than Force. If you cut your rear springs, which are variable rate, you are going to see a decrease in both handling and ride quality.

Note: For anyone who has done this, don't go thinking that stiffer spring rate automatically equals better handling.

My turbo lag is your courtesy head start.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 10:28 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBaltSS View Post
Yeah don't take any car show on T.V. as automotive gospel. I couldn't have said it any better than Force. If you cut your rear springs, which are variable rate, you are going to see a decrease in both handling and ride quality.

Note: For anyone who has done this, don't go thinking that stiffer spring rate automatically equals better handling.
The car Foose did it on was likely a '60s or '70s American vehicle - which didn't have variable spring rates.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 10:32 AM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP81 View Post
The car Foose did it on was likely a '60s or '70s American vehicle - which didn't have variable spring rates.
Did he not swap basic suspension components? They normally do. New parts would almost certainly be variable.

Still not as dumb as my friends brother who just torched the springs on his 90's Tacoma and had a fat guy jump up and down in the bed.

My turbo lag is your courtesy head start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode