Annoyance with Brakes... - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to BlackLS Street Send a message via Skype™ to BlackLS Street
Unhappy Annoyance with Brakes...

Okay so this has been happening for a while but it's not affecting braking performance...
Almost every single time I release the brake pedal there is a quick, high pitched squeak that only lasts the duration of the release of the pedal.

I have cleaned the rear brake drums before and it stopped it for about a week and then it started again.

Again, this has not affected car performance but it is so annoying and unattractive for my car...

I have no ideas on what is causing this so any help and opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 10:20 AM
Forum God

Garage
i have the same problem

BUMP

R.I.P. :(

Hello
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 11:31 AM
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
remove your caliper as if you were changing your pads. I guarantee the backing plate on the pad is dry. The pad moves a little under certain conditions and this is what you're hearing. Grab some brake pad lube from autozone/krage/orielly/napa/pep boys and apply a good bit to the contact area's on the back of the pad.

should fix your problem.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 12:48 PM
ado
Forum Regular

Omfg, this is my EXACT same problem. I don't mean to hijack this thread or anything, but since I'm gonna do this, should I replace my rotors at the same time? Aren't they just behind the brake calipers?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 12:58 PM
Forum Regular

got the same exact problem

06 Majestic Amethyst Cobalt Coupe Lt ----------------------------------------------------
Completed Modifications: 17"Aftermarket rims/tires, Completely Debadged, 2 12 inch JL Audio's, Rocksford Fosgate 1200watt amplifier, Kenwood LED headunit, Anzo black housed headlights, black painted front badge, removed door guards/factory pinstripes, VHT nightshaded brake lights, KNN air filter, aftermarket exhaust system
soon: CAI, Eibach Sportlines, 18" rims w/tires, CF trunk/hood
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 01:00 PM
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ado View Post
Omfg, this is my EXACT same problem. I don't mean to hijack this thread or anything, but since I'm gonna do this, should I replace my rotors at the same time? Aren't they just behind the brake calipers?
you shouldn't have to, if your pads have a good amount if life, don't even bother replacing them. the dab of anti-squeal should do the trick.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 01:23 PM
ado
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillBeck View Post
you shouldn't have to, if your pads have a good amount if life, don't even bother replacing them. the dab of anti-squeal should do the trick.
Woops, I guess I should have explained WHY I want to change my rotors, lmao.. sorry, I was in a hurry. My car shakes when I brake ~40+ now, used to be ~60+ (mph), and I was told to change my rotors. I was asking here because I'm not sure where the rotors are located in relation to the brake calipers, but if they're in the same place then I might as well, ya know?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 01:38 PM
Cobalt Master

Garage
Quote:
Woops, I guess I should have explained WHY I want to change my rotors, lmao.. sorry, I was in a hurry. My car shakes when I brake ~40+ now, used to be ~60+ (mph), and I was told to change my rotors. I was asking here because I'm not sure where the rotors are located in relation to the brake calipers, but if they're in the same place then I might as well, ya know?

^^<==---___-A_m_e_r_i_c_a_n M_u_s_c_l_e-___---==>^^

Last edited by XFE; 03-27-2010 at 12:57 AM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 02:18 PM
Forum God

Garage
lmao

R.I.P. :(

Hello
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to BlackLS Street Send a message via Skype™ to BlackLS Street
Quote:
Originally Posted by ado View Post
I had this problem a couple of months ago...I would re-surface the rotors first
After I had my rotors re-surfaced braking was back to normal

But yeah definitely try resurfacing before buying brand new rotors...it would save some money and time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode