Have You Ever Bottomed Out? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ADIDASS Send a message via Yahoo to ADIDASS
Have You Ever Bottomed Out?

So, I went to the movies last night to see "Date Night" (not too bad of a movie I might add) and as I was leaving the theatre they have a hell of an entrance/exit... I end up going slow and hear the bottom of my front end scrape the road. :( When I got home I felt underneathe my front lip and it's all scuffed up. Is this just something that comes with the territory of having a lower sitting car? I have the stock ss/tc suspension on. I was thinking about getting some sport line springs, but after that incident I'm not sure if I want them anymore. What kind of problems, if any do you guys have bottoming out or scraping?

Black 2009 SS/TC|20% Tint|Ark Shorty Antenna|Customized License Plate Cover|Customized Front Bowtie|Weathertech Vent Visors|3rd Generation Projectors w/ 6k HID's|IPCW LED Tails|3rd Brake Light Mod w/ Vinyl Overlay|Reflective Black SS Inlays|Nightshaded Side Markers|E-brake Mod|Redlinegoods Shifter/E-brake Boots|AVIC-Z110BT Headunit|Di-Noc 3M Dry Carbon Fiber Trim|Armrest w/ Cover|MRZ "Cobalt SS" Door Sills|K&N Drop-in Filter|GMS1|Goodyear Eagle GT AS Tires|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 08:32 AM
Expert

Garage
I scraped my resonator a few times over speed bumps. I blame that on having a cheap exhaust with horrible fitment. It hangs to low anyway.

post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 08:47 AM
Expert

Lower=Higher. Higher probablility of scraping. This can be avoided by not taking steep entrances, find the most level area to enter/exit. If you have to park somewhere else and walk to an area that only has steep grades, do that. If an incline/dip cannot be avoided, take it at an angle to lower potential scrape risk. Hope that helps.

My turbo lag is your courtesy head start.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 11:36 AM
Expert

gotta go super slow.. Here in NY the roads and everything are horrible... still on my stock 16s and with SSkit on and sportlines :P

Doesnt even look like this anymore but im still gonna keep this because its sweet

08' 2door Lt special Edition
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 11:45 AM
Newcomer

Garage
im very careful, specialy about curbing my wheels
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 12:37 PM
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Send a message via Yahoo to finnscobalt
Even going slow you can bottom out and rough up any body work on some parking lot entrances. That is why until I can afford a POS daily driver I will not lower mine.
This is stock height LS with side skirts straddling average height speed bumps, some can be higher, there are some in one parking lot that we cannot even take the car in since installation of the skirts.

sig pic courtesy of GBALT05
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 12:59 PM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnscobalt View Post
Even going slow you can bottom out and rough up any body work on some parking lot entrances. That is why until I can afford a POS daily driver I will not lower mine.
This is stock height LS with side skirts straddling average height speed bumps, some can be higher, there are some in one parking lot that we cannot even take the car in since installation of the skirts.

yah but the slower the less scraping and damage u will get

Doesnt even look like this anymore but im still gonna keep this because its sweet

08' 2door Lt special Edition
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 01:27 PM
Cobalt Master

Garage
Quote:
gotta go super slow.. Here in NY the roads and everything are horrible... still on my stock 16s and with SSkit on and sportlines :P
X2.. I'm LS in 4x4 mode (stock), I drove over a median and came down off a 4in high curb at a 45 degree angle and scuffed my bumper up going really slow. I cant imagine being lowered here, and the speed bumpers are murder- I need to take some of them at an angle at stock height

^^<==---___-A_m_e_r_i_c_a_n M_u_s_c_l_e-___---==>^^
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ADIDASS Send a message via Yahoo to ADIDASS
You guys act as if I was flying around that exit. :P I know, I got super slow at any entrance/exit, and I've been through this one before. It just surprised me to scrape my car. More or less it made me upset. I looked under it today and you can see where it scraped. It's along the front bottom of the lip. I could just take it off and repaint it, but that's too big of a PITA for now. It isn't visiable unless you get under the car, but ya know, it's right on the nose end of the bottom. First time I bottomed the front out on this car.

Black 2009 SS/TC|20% Tint|Ark Shorty Antenna|Customized License Plate Cover|Customized Front Bowtie|Weathertech Vent Visors|3rd Generation Projectors w/ 6k HID's|IPCW LED Tails|3rd Brake Light Mod w/ Vinyl Overlay|Reflective Black SS Inlays|Nightshaded Side Markers|E-brake Mod|Redlinegoods Shifter/E-brake Boots|AVIC-Z110BT Headunit|Di-Noc 3M Dry Carbon Fiber Trim|Armrest w/ Cover|MRZ "Cobalt SS" Door Sills|K&N Drop-in Filter|GMS1|Goodyear Eagle GT AS Tires|
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 02:00 PM
Expert

never bottomed out my cobalt, but i did do it to my trans am on a speed bump when i was drunk.. cost me an oil pan,

mods... tinted taillights, 1000 watt alpine mono amp, 2 10 inch alpine type "r" subs, basspro slot ported box, xm radio, alpine 6x9 rear speekers, alpine 6.5 front speekers (both type "s",09SS front bumper and lip,black factory headlights, 12k foglights, 10k headlights, slp catback,fe5 suspension with sportlines,black carpet, painted plastics (black) huge custom pink monster sticker... and ofcourse.... BLACKED OUT!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode