Brakes Skipping? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Forum God

Brakes Skipping?

Every time I hit the brakes it sounds like my rear drum brakes are skipping. Can we adjust these brakes? Or are they shot I would check them but I honestly dont have time. Is there anyone else who has had this?

Note: Theres 35,000 on my car/stock brakes they have never been replaced Ive always babied them and tried to save them.

2006 Cobalt: Bolt On's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 10:12 PM
Expert

To adjust, remove wheel, then remove the drum. Use a water based solvent to spray off the dust, making sure not to breathe in any of it (some of the shoes are still asbestos based). Use a long flat bladed screwdriver and lift up on the thin metal bar that sits on top of the little gear. This is the audjuster gear and lock. Use another flat bladed screwdriver and move the gear to push the shoes outward. Keep checking how the drum fits over, and when you have adjusted it to the point where the drum fits snugly over the shoes, it is good.

My turbo lag is your courtesy head start.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 10:37 PM
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
I would say that's the difficult way.

Most modern rear drum brakes have an automatic adjustment, which is only activated in reverse by the opposite torque direction. If you don't drive in reverse often, find an area where safe, and while moving in reverse, apply the brakes very firmly. This will trigger spring loaded adjustment on the star wheel.

Whala, adjustment complete. Check your shoes anyway just to make sure they're not just worn out.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Forum God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBaltSS View Post
To adjust, remove wheel, then remove the drum. Use a water based solvent to spray off the dust, making sure not to breathe in any of it (some of the shoes are still asbestos based). Use a long flat bladed screwdriver and lift up on the thin metal bar that sits on top of the little gear. This is the audjuster gear and lock. Use another flat bladed screwdriver and move the gear to push the shoes outward. Keep checking how the drum fits over, and when you have adjusted it to the point where the drum fits snugly over the shoes, it is good.
Ok thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillBeck View Post
I would say that's the difficult way.

Most modern rear drum brakes have an automatic adjustment, which is only activated in reverse by the opposite torque direction. If you don't drive in reverse often, find an area where safe, and while moving in reverse, apply the brakes very firmly. This will trigger spring loaded adjustment on the star wheel.

Whala, adjustment complete. Check your shoes anyway just to make sure they're not just worn out.
This is what I figured I should try till I can check them out.

Thanks.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 04:56 PM
Expert

The only reason I suggested that method was because he was unsure of his shoe condition.

My turbo lag is your courtesy head start.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Forum God

Well I was coming home from the girlfriends a few minutes ago and since theres no one on the roads i did Willbecks method and it seemed to work, ill find out for sure tomorrow but I didn't hear it anymore. And thanks blackbaltSS for your idea if I had more time i probably would try it, maybe ill check them thursday since one of my classes got canceled.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode