Never Messed with Tires Before, Need Help. - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
TsM
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Edmond, OK
Posts: 116
Never Messed with Tires Before, Need Help.

I drive an 07 LS Coupe and I'm looking to get rid of the stock hubcaps I have and replace them with some rims but I do have a few questions. I like having "actual" GM parts, rather than having aftermarket if it's possible so what I want to do is use another body style Cobalts rims.

Correct me if I'm wrong, because I've never messed with tires before and I don't know what I'm doing. An SS has a 5 lug nut pattern I think, meaning unless I get some sort of conversion kit, I must stick with the LT and LT2 body styles because they have a 4 lug nut pattern like mine. Can I order GM rims for the LT and put them on my car? I know the SS has 18s and was wondering if that size would fit my car also.

And this may be a stupid question, but when someone says they have 18" wheels, does that mean their rim size is 18" across or is that the tire size? If it's the tire size, how do I know what size rim to order?

Lastly, are the optional rims you can order for the LT and LT2 in the Cobalt catalog actual rims or are they those lame covers? Thanks!!
TsM is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 09:53 PM
Forum God


 
BlackARCA06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,724
I have GM rims, and I wouldn't get a conversion kit it'll make the rims stick out and it will look like a**.

2006 Cobalt: Bolt On's
BlackARCA06 is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
TsM
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Edmond, OK
Posts: 116
Thanks for the help... I... guess. Can you explain if they were stock on an SS or did you order them separate? How much were they? Are you satisfied with them?
TsM is offline  
 
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 10:00 PM
Forum God


 
BlackARCA06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by TsM View Post
Thanks for the help... I... guess. Can you explain if they were stock on an SS or did you order them separate? How much were they? Are you satisfied with them?
Yes I really like them and they came on the car there a GM accessory rim. crateenginedepot.com has them but there really expensive I do know that. But honestly get some aftermarket rims, there are alot of nice ones out there and they make alot of them that fit are cars.

Oh and more then likely when someone says they have 18's they mean the rim.

2006 Cobalt: Bolt On's
BlackARCA06 is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 10:01 PM
XFE
Wootsauce!
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member


 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 8,593
Send a message via AIM to XFE
Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, because I've never messed with tires before and I don't know what I'm doing. An SS has a 5 lug nut pattern I think, meaning unless I get some sort of conversion kit, I must stick with the LT and LT2 body styles because they have a 4 lug nut pattern like mine. Can I order GM rims for the LT and put them on my car? I know the SS has 18s and was wondering if that size would fit my car also.

SS/SC and SS/TC and some LT's have a 5 bolt pattern = 5x110
A hub conversion is very pricey and not worth it at all.
Your bolt pattern is 4x100
18's will fit on your car.

Quote:
And this may be a stupid question, but when someone says they have 18" wheels, does that mean their rim size is 18" across or is that the tire size? If it's the tire size, how do I know what size rim to order?
The rim size is 18"

So if you have a 16" rim, you would order a 16" tire...It's really not hard to screw that up.


Quote:
Lastly, are the optional rims you can order for the LT and LT2 in the Cobalt catalog actual rims or are they those lame covers? Thanks!!
Those are actual rims.




Now, if you want Stock Cobalt alloy rims, just start callin junkyards, check ebay and craigslist. Sometimes you can find a good deal on them

Or just go aftermarket.




XFE is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 10:03 PM
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt of the Month Winner


 
GBALT05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kennesaw, GA [ATL]
Posts: 6,103
Garage
Send a message via AIM to GBALT05
17 inch rims- 225/45/17 tires
18 inch rims- 225/40/18 tires
19 inch rims 225/35/19 tires

see the trend?
dont quote me on these actual sizes.

except the 225/40/18, thats a legit size tire for 18 inch rims
GBALT05 is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
TsM
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Edmond, OK
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by XFE View Post
SS/SC and SS/TC and some LT's have a 5 bolt pattern = 5x110
A hub conversion is very pricey and not worth it at all.
Your bolt pattern is 4x100
18's will fit on your car.



The rim size is 18"

So if you have a 16" rim, you would order a 16" tire...It's really not hard to screw that up.




Those are actual rims.




Now, if you want Stock Cobalt alloy rims, just start callin junkyards, check ebay and craigslist. Sometimes you can find a good deal on them

Or just go aftermarket.
Nah I guess that isn't hard to screw up lol thank you for clearing that up. So some of the LTs are 5 lugs but there ARE some with 4? I saw some real nice rims for the LTs that I want to check out but I lost the book. I'm going to my Chevy dealer tomorrow to ask for prices and that. Hopefully they have some decent looking Cobalt rims with 4 pattern...

---------- Post added at 11:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gCobalt05 View Post
17 inch rims- 225/45/17 tires
18 inch rims- 225/40/18 tires
19 inch rims 225/35/19 tires

see the trend?
dont quote me on these actual sizes.

except the 225/40/18, thats a legit size tire for 18 inch rims
Makes sense, thanks. Now the SS comes stock with 18s so I ask, is that a good size to go with? It will fit my car, and I love the SS and I'm sorta using that as a guide to make my car similar to them. But with people that own an SS or use 18s, are you happy with them or would you go smaller/bigger?
TsM is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 10:08 PM
XFE
Wootsauce!
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member


 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 8,593
Send a message via AIM to XFE
Like these...

These are LT 4 bolt rims.

But keep in mind these are powdercoated black







XFE is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 10:11 PM
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt of the Month Winner


 
GBALT05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kennesaw, GA [ATL]
Posts: 6,103
Garage
Send a message via AIM to GBALT05
yes, 18s are perfect in my opinion.

i have 18s!

---------- Post added at 12:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 AM ----------



---------- Post added at 12:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 AM ----------

and if i were to have an ss, i would keep the stock 18s for a while
GBALT05 is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 10:12 PM
XFE
Wootsauce!
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member


 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 8,593
Send a message via AIM to XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TsM View Post
Nah I guess that isn't hard to screw up lol thank you for clearing that up. So some of the LTs are 5 lugs but there ARE some with 4? I saw some real nice rims for the LTs that I want to check out but I lost the book. I'm going to my Chevy dealer tomorrow to ask for prices and that. Hopefully they have some decent looking Cobalt rims with 4 pattern

Correct...some LT's are 4 and some are 5, just depends on the year.



Quote:
Makes sense, thanks. Now the SS comes stock with 18s so I ask, is that a good size to go with? It will fit my car, and I love the SS and I'm sorta using that as a guide to make my car similar to them. But with people that own an SS or use 18s, are you happy with them or would you go smaller/bigger?
You can run what ever you want. 15" all the way up to 20"(yes 20's will fit but not alot of people do it. Only a few balts can pull it off)

I had 17's on my car and they were nice and fit really well. I had a 215-45-17" tire on them and they did not rub at all.

I will be going with those 16" lt rims I just posted.




XFE is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome