Tires...looking for Your Input. - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Tires...looking for Your Input.

Well the time has come to start looking at tires for the upcoming winter season. Yes I know its not exactly summer yet, but I like to have a plan and if something good comes along I want to be able to move on it. I have the bone stock LS,with 15" wheels and no plan for anything else. Its 5-speed daily driver and I am looking for long wear and good traction when its wet out. The factory stock were ok, but not exactly spectacular.So give me your input please.

Ideas are like children: there are none so wonderful as your own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 05:02 PM
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Send a message via Yahoo to finnscobalt
Los Angeles has a "winter" that you need special tires for????

sig pic courtesy of GBALT05
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 05:05 PM
XFE
Wootsauce!
Staff Alumni

Send a message via AIM to XFE
My recommendation would be General Altimax Arctic

I have those tires and i absolutley love em. Great grip on wet/dry/snow/slush!
I haven't got stuck once.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnscobalt View Post
Los Angeles has a "winter" that you need special tires for????
Nooooooooo.I will have run out of tread depth long before our winter/rainy period comes,so I am shopping for tires now and asking for input.Do you have any input regarding my post.

---------- Post added at 06:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:00 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFE View Post
My recommendation would be General Altimax Arctic

I have those tires and i absolutley love em. Great grip on wet/dry/snow/slush!
I haven't got stuck once.
Thats what I'm looking for. Real world experience.Tire Rack/Discount Tire/Costco/Sams Club have good prices, but very little info and no real feedback.Thank you.Oh and how did they wear.They have no rating.??????

---------- Post added at 06:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:03 PM ----------

I might add that this car was the most base Sedan with a 5-speed I could find. its only option is body side moldings and floormats, so no limited slip, and the right front wheel does its level best to pull the car in what ever direction it wants to go if its in a turn and wet out. Does this make input easier.??????

Last edited by langss; 05-20-2010 at 07:10 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 07:35 PM
XFE
Wootsauce!
Staff Alumni

Send a message via AIM to XFE
You'll be fine. I love them damn tires.

Tread wear isn't bad. As long as I wait till the first snow to put them back on and take them off once the weather gets better in spring I'll probably get at least 2-4 more years out of them.

Last edited by XFE; 05-20-2010 at 07:38 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 08:21 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to finnscobalt
I like my BFGoodrich G Force Sports, handle the snow and ice pretty well also, in addition to the flooding rain Nashville/Clarksville, TN area jsut had.

sig pic courtesy of GBALT05
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnscobalt View Post
I like my BFGoodrich G Force Sports, handle the snow and ice pretty well also, in addition to the flooding rain Nashville/Clarksville, TN area jsut had.
That's perfect. I have never owned/had a front wheel drive car before so this is important to me.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 10:01 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to camopaint0707
i still don't get why you need winter tires in LA

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by camopaint0707 View Post
i still don't get why you need winter tires in LA
I'm sorry you missed my explanation, but if you will kindly re-read my post above. I'm not looking for "Winter" tires specifically, I am looking for tires before "Winter" gets here and are good for winter weather. If you have never been to "Los Angeles" as rare as "Rain" might seem, the problem here is the many miles of oil soaked roads and the first rain. Oil and Water = Slick Road. Add Stupid People that still think they can do double the speed limit and I'm sure you can figure out the rest. So far I have two tire brands/styles to go check out, what tire have you had good experience with.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 11:41 AM
Contributor

I live in LA county and you won't need them unless you plan on doing a lot of mountain driving through Crestline, Arrowhead, Big Bear, or Azusa Canyon. I would focus more on dry and wet traction issues as you already know the weather is variable here.

---------- Post added at 05:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:39 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by langss View Post
I'm sorry you missed my explanation, but if you will kindly re-read my post above. I'm not looking for "Winter" tires specifically, I am looking for tires before "Winter" gets here and are good for winter weather. If you have never been to "Los Angeles" as rare as "Rain" might seem, the problem here is the many miles of oil soaked roads and the first rain. Oil and Water = Slick Road. Add Stupid People that still think they can do double the speed limit and I'm sure you can figure out the rest. So far I have two tire brands/styles to go check out, what tire have you had good experience with.
I think what you're talking about is an All-Season tire, not a winter tire.

Mods:
Engine- K&N SRI Intake, NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs, Corsa Touring Cat-Back Exhaust
Suspension- FE5 SS/TC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, Koni Yellow Sport Shocks/Struts, DC Sports Strut Tower Brace
Brakes- PowerSlot Rotors, Hawk HPS Brake Pads
Wheels- 17" Tenzo RS5 Rims (Gunmetal), BFGoodrich G-Force Sport 225/45/17 tires
Exterior- Removed Side Moldings
Interior- Pioneer FH-P800BT, Pioneer 3-Way 6x9 Speakers, Carbon Fiber Interior Trim Kit

Future: 2.4L Intake Manifold, Bad-Mab Header, ZZP 2.5" Downpipe, Trifecta Tune, Eibach Sway Bar Kit, Russel SS Brake Lines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode