Couple Lowering Spring Questions - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Cobalt Master

Garage
Couple Lowering Spring Questions

okay i have kind of put my 4x4 look on the back burner of things to get done, but the reason i have put it off so long was because i have heard of issues with adding springs on FE1 shocks that come on LT's like I have.. so

1) Are springs a safe long-term thing to be running on the stock shocks I have?

I have heard that the stocks tend to leak over time due to be compressed more or somthing like that. someone clarify plz.

2) What brand of spring gives a reasonable drop w/o giving that saggy back end look that I hate?

I wanna keep the slightly raked look that our balts come with cuz i personally think it looks like crap when the back is lower than the front. Does anyone have pics of springs that give a decent drop (yes i searched through multiple threads)..

3) Also how much do i have to worry about being dropped in the winter time? is it really as bad as people claim it is?

Help a Suspension newb out!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 05:44 PM
I cut stuff
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
get B&G's and cut one full coil off the fronts. I've been on my stock struts/shocks for about a year now.

That's the answer Matt. /thread :P
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Cobalt Master

Garage
^i had a feeling that response was coming lmao

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 05:46 PM
I cut stuff

Garage
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 05:46 PM
Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlock View Post
okay i have kind of put my 4x4 look on the back burner of things to get done, but the reason i have put it off so long was because i have heard of issues with adding springs on FE1 shocks that come on LT's like I have.. so

1) Are springs a safe long-term thing to be running on the stock shocks I have?

I have heard that the stocks tend to leak over time due to be compressed more or somthing like that. someone clarify plz.

2) What brand of spring gives a reasonable drop w/o giving that saggy back end look that I hate?

I wanna keep the slightly raked look that our balts come with cuz i personally think it looks like crap when the back is lower than the front. Does anyone have pics of springs that give a decent drop (yes i searched through multiple threads)..

3) Also how much do i have to worry about being dropped in the winter time? is it really as bad as people claim it is?

Help a Suspension newb out!!
#1 They will last a little while. Some people claim they last around 20k to 30k on aftermarket springs. I've also read that they have lasted 100k. Rare though.

#2 I think this depends. Seems like everyones stock wheel gap on lt, ls models are all different. If I went 2 inch lower in front, 2.5 lower in back, it would be level for me. Eibach Sportlines are the ones I'm talking about.

#3 I think its only bad if you get lots of snow in the winter, roads are bad. Not really winter related but if there are places where you know you will have to make strong angles on aftermarket springs to pull into without scraping, going real low might not be good. Unless you don't care about hitting all the time.

Hope I somewhat helped. I'm still learning a little more on suspension myself.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Cobalt Master

Garage
so if i got springs i might wanna have to look into shocks then also?? ka-ching $$$$ boo hiss rabble

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 05:50 PM
I cut stuff

Garage
I wouldn't worry about being low though Matt. You just gotta know how to drive is all. Remember the first place we stopped to eat when we had the meet? That place had a nasty steep driveway and I remember a bunch of people bottoming out and scraping the crap outta their bumpers on the driveway lol!! I just took it at a steep angle and I didn't scrape at all and my car was by far the lowest car at that meet. Also look at the nasty snow we are getting right now. I'm rocking my balt no problem and I don't even have snow tires on.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 05:53 PM
Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerlow View Post
I wouldn't worry about being low though Matt. You just gotta know how to drive is all. Remember the first place we stopped to eat when we had the meet? That place had a nasty steep driveway and I remember a bunch of people bottoming out and scraping the crap outta their bumpers on the driveway lol!! I just took it at a steep angle and I didn't scrape at all and my car was by far the lowest car at that meet. Also look at the nasty snow we are getting right now. I'm rocking my balt no problem and I don't even have snow tires on.
I agree man.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 05:56 PM
Veteran

Garage
as for the winter time i was worried at first but than i see honda civics and and cars like that all the time in the winter with no problem and there lower than are balts lowered on springs..

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 05:56 PM
Veteran

Garage
When I asked ?s about upgrading shocks and struts everyone led me to this.
Cobalt FE5 Struts and Shock Pkg FE5-S - Crate Engine Depot
People have told me the FE5 set up is the way to go. Not mandatory as people are lowered with stock shocks and struts. But this would be the upgrade to go with after I'd say 15k being lowered on stock shocks/struts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode