Could Accident Damage Tire TPMS? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Could Accident Damage Tire TPMS?

I was in a sideswipe accident. My left rear tire was busted and replaced along with pretty much the rest of the left side of the car from the driver's door back.

When I got the car back from the body shop, my Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS) light went off, telling me to "Check Tire Monitor". The PSI reading for the front left tire shows as "--." They body shop couldn't diagnose the problem with their equipment (or at least claimed that). The physical locations of the tires are also not matching up with what the car says. Firestone said that the sensor in the LF tire is faulty.

My question is whether you think a TPMS sensor could be damaged in an accident even if there wasn't direct impact with that tire. The insurance adjuster says that she can't reimburse me if it isn't proven that the accident caused the malfunction. However, if it was working before the accident...

Last edited by cobalt3365; 01-09-2011 at 06:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 06:08 PM
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Send a message via Yahoo to finnscobalt
A wire could have been pinched or cut in the wreck. Try to trace the wires yourself and find the split if any. However the shock of the impact might also have dameged the sensor. Have another tire shop check the TPMS sensor.

sig pic courtesy of GBALT05
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 06:10 PM
YourCobalt of the Quarter Winner
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
afaik, those things are really sensitive. so even the slightest displacement or hit could break them. just tell her that it's not like you would lie about a 25 dollar part, you just don't want to pay for something that shouldn't have broken in the first place.

Forged L61 BW S252 Turbocharged Showoff Thread

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Wow. Thanks for the quick replies. I was told/planned to take it to the dealer, but I was turned away though I had an appointment. Apparently, everyone's car broke down last week???

The dealer did tell me that the part would be $75 and the labor $50. Not bad, but yeah, I don't want to pay for something that was broken before the accident.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 07:04 PM

Garage
WTF 75 BUCKS FOR THAT PART?! dude... buy the part, bring it to a "mom and pop" shop and get it done for 20 bucks. all they have to do is take the tire off the rim, replace the sensor, put the shit back on and you're good to go. it would take 15 mins MAX.

---------- Post added at 08:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 PM ----------

2008-2010 Chevrolet Cobalt TPMS Sensor - Body Mechanical & Trim - Replacement 08-10 Cobalt TPMS Sensor - 28766-06008236 - PartsGeek
there's the part, 40 bucks.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 07:09 PM
I cut stuff
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
The first thing you should do is relearn them and maybe it will start working again. Try that before doing anything else.

You don't even have to take the tire completely off the rim. Just break the bead loose by the valve stem and slip it in there.

yes it could have been damaged but not likely being that it didn't take a direct impact. It's possible the body shop messed it up themselves if they took that wheel off the car or messed around with it.

the tires reading in the wrong positions just means you need to re learn the tpm's. You can do that yourself by looking in the owners manual.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 07:13 PM

Garage
edit: because i'm an idiot and read something wrong.

but good suggestion. when i swapped my tires for winter, we took them off and put them on with no problems reading at all.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankerBalt View Post
WTF 75 BUCKS FOR THAT PART?! dude... buy the part, bring it to a "mom and pop" shop and get it done for 20 bucks. all they have to do is take the tire off the rim, replace the sensor, put the shit back on and you're good to go. it would take 15 mins MAX.

---------- Post added at 08:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 PM ----------

2008-2010 Chevrolet Cobalt TPMS Sensor - Body Mechanical & Trim - Replacement 08-10 Cobalt TPMS Sensor - 28766-06008236 - PartsGeek
there's the part, 40 bucks.
Firestone said they would roll the price of my diagnostic $39 into installing the part, so I'll look into ordering the part online if I can't get the insurance to cover it.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Well, the insurance company agreed to have the dealer that does business with the body shop take it in and fix the problem AND to reimburse the diagnostic that I paid to Firestone. Yes!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 03:50 PM
Newcomer

Thats good news!

But yes the sensors are realy sensitive, and if they havent reset themselves then you might have to take it to get them reset, and I myself have reset the sensors and its a 10 min process tops with the right equipment that any garage should have, god Walmart has it for god sakes!

Thats only in the event that they dont reset once the new sensor is installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread