Rattling Noise from Rear Suspension - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Cobalt Master

Garage
Send a message via AIM to bbrewbaker
Rattling Noise from Rear Suspension

I have a rattle from the rear. I just started hearing it a few days ago.
The best way to describe it is it sounds like the loose lumber sound that the old J bodys had when the top strut mounts were bad in the rear.
I know that's not it since we don't have the strut design for the rears.
I'm hearing over any bumps. It's almost like a constant rattle. I looked and don't see anything strange. The springs look good and the shocks aren't leaking.
If i press down on the back of the car the only thing i notice is a small squeak from the area of the shocks.
I don't notice any difference in the ride or handling.

Does this sound like a bad shock. or just ice someplace rattling against something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 10:39 AM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerExpert

It just sounds like something rattling around under the car. I got a tsudo catback and it was clunking against the stock hanger. Just something to check out if you have an exhaust, I don't remember if you do or not
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Cobalt Master

Garage
Nope still the stock exhaust.
Also no suspension work has been since I installed the pro kit in April.
I am going to check to make sure it's not the battery or spare tire moving also.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 10:56 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Mine sounds like, if you think about it, an old spring mattress, where the springs all rub against each other, but ****ing loud...and it only seems to do it when it's really cold.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Cobalt Master

Garage
Mine didn't start doing it friday night when it was about 10 degress. And earlier when I was out and it was real loud it was about 10. But since it warmed up it don't seem as bad again.
Friday night i was able to hear it over the radio and the fan on 2.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 05:01 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to finnscobalt
check condition of all your bushings and your exhaust hangars.

sig pic courtesy of GBALT05
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 09:00 PM
Cobalt Master

ive been noticing kinda the same sound dude. it sounds like its coming from the driver rear. i think it has to do with it being 2 degrees here in ny because i really doubt i have a blown shock
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 08:37 AM
Contributor

Garage
Brian my car started doing this too. I really think its the weather. With it being 30 here today instead of -14 I had no sound. You might be alright!

LIVE LOVE BURN DIE

My Sig thanks PADLOCK
No one knows what is going on! Its just a simple answer with a complex conclusion
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 08:42 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Yep, the guy who sold me the springs said his suspension is doing it as well. He mentioned the material is probably just settling and what not, which makes sense. Metal contracts when it's cold, and more so when it's really cold.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 03:31 PM
XFE
Wootsauce!
Staff Alumni

Send a message via AIM to XFE
These cars make alot of noises when it's really really cold out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode