Front End Problem - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 04:13 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Front End Problem

I've got a 2005 cobalt with a front end problem. I recently replaced both of the struts in the front, but now, on the passenger side, when you drive you can hear a loud thumping and shaking sound, and when you slow down or start to stop, you can hear like a weird re-er re-er re-er (squeaking) sound. I am thinking it's my hub assembly, but I am not totally sure. Does anyone know how to check what else it could be? (When it starts rattling it usually does it above 25, and the wheel shakes, but when you start slowing down and are about at a crawl, is when the squeaking starts (brakes or not).

I had the hub assembly on that side replaced once before, and it was fine for about 20 miles, than started doing it again, so it's possible I could have gotten a bad hub assembly, since it was used when I bought it.

If somebody could please offer me some help, I would appreciate it. Today is the only day until next weekend I can work on it, and it's my daily driver so i'd like to get it fixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 03:57 PM
Expert

Garage
could be warped rotor, thats common on our cars. could be that you didnt reassemble the front strut properly...post some pics

07 Laser Blue LT Sedan
My Car Domain:http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3805600
4 Doors = More Whores
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

I bought the strut as a new complete assembly so I couldn't have put it together wrong. Would a warped rotor really make it squeak without even being on the brake and make it thump and clunk like that?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 04:30 PM
Expert

Garage
squeak and wheel shake could be rotor. but the thumping and clunking sounds like something loose in the strut area. connecting rod possibly...

07 Laser Blue LT Sedan
My Car Domain:http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3805600
4 Doors = More Whores
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

I should add that I went to a local junkyard that does new car pulls, and pulled off both left and right front struts from a car with 4 miles on it. When I put them both on, the sway bar bolt started spinning off so I had to use vise grips to loosen the nut on both sides, is that the connecting rod you are referring to? They went back together and tightened down tight without damage to the boot at all.

The squeaking doesn't really sound like a squeak you would hear from a worn strut or anything, it sounds more like a rubbing kind of squeak.

Any way to have the rotor checked? Would just putting it on a turning wheel to get it turned find out of it's warped or not?

I find it weird that I was having the same problem, replaced the hub assembly, and it stopped for about 20 miles, than started in again. I was told by my neighbor that when driving at low speeds, like pulling up in front of the house at the curb, it looks like the tire is wobbling, or the cv joint itself is wobbling. What could be the symptoms of that?

Last edited by ex0r; 02-17-2011 at 05:48 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 09:48 PM
Banned

you check the control arm bushings
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Yeah. The control arm bushing on the one side went out before so I replaced them on both sides.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 10:22 AM
Banned

and still having issues?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

I got the problem fixed. I ended up taking the wheel off, and one of the clips that holds the pads on was broken, so it was making the brake pads vibrate. I ended up putting new pads on and it no longer does it.

Thanks for the help, everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode