E-Brake Isnt Engaging? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2011, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

E-Brake Isnt Engaging?

hey guys/gals.
I have an 09 LS xfe. Its a 5-spd and runs like a top.

It only has one issue that I know of so far and its the e-brake.

It doesnt click. I pull the brake up and it doesnt stay. it just falls back down. and like i said it doesnt click anymore. any ideas? someone had this problem before and fixed it hopefully. i have gotten into the habit of relying on good ole 1st gear to hold my car everywhere i park.

I have been lurking over this forum for the past couple weeks and have done several of the "cheap/easy mods".such as debadging and STS from the Cavi, BTW the lowering DIY was amazing.

Figured I would sign up as you all seem very intelligent in the cobalt world. Make this my cobalt home forum.

Any help or advice/solution would be wonderful. Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2011, 11:42 AM
Contributor

Sounds like your cable broke..............
Old 03-14-2011, 02:54 PM
Forum God

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridinonrails View Post
Sounds like your cable broke..............
This however probably isn't the case as I've had the same issue twice now.

To the OP...here is most likely what your issue is...there is a cresent shaped gear that runs against the gear that is attached to the E-Brake handle itself...which is THEN connected to the cable. You can tighten up the cable with a simple 10mm or 13mm ratchet (I can't remember as I have an auto and no need to use my E-Brake)...I had to fight with it for about a half an hour to set back right...then I hit it with a torch to get the metal all back into shape (mine was kinda warped/bent a little) reversed the order but I did test it with all of the plastic junk still apart around it...(as in the rear cupholder/arm rest/shroud around the E-Brake handle itself)...just to make sure it worked right.

The Racekar - SOLD!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIW9XK_WMR4
2007 Cashmere Metallic Chevy Cobalt LT Sedan...totaled 04/11/2011
2010 VR Cobalt 2LT Sedan Debadged, ZZP Intake, Custom 2.5" Exhaust/Borla Pro XS, FE5 Bidnez with KSport Springs.
Previously dumped on BC Xtreme Low's...RIP LOWLYFE :(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
brakes , click , e-brake , emergency brake