Rear Sway Bar for Autocross - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Rear Sway Bar for Autocross

I have an 05 base coupe that I just started autocrossing and I want a rear swaybar to eliminate the oversteer. I'm still on the stock front sway bar and don't plan to change it, so what's gona be my best choice to get as close to neutral balance as possible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 10:11 PM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerExpert

i have the ttr sway bar with stock front and progress springs, a little oversteer but nothing crazy. id say its probably the best for use with the stock front bar
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 10:13 PM
YourCobalt of the Quarter Winner
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
yea, the front sway bar with new endlinks is going to be your best bet. it's a pain in the ass to change, but the change itself is incredible.

Forged L61 BW S252 Turbocharged Showoff Thread

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 09:14 AM
Cobalt Master

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBirdL61 View Post
I have an 05 base coupe that I just started autocrossing and I want a rear swaybar to eliminate the understeer. I'm still on the stock front sway bar and don't plan to change it, so what's gona be my best choice to get as close to neutral balance as possible?
fixed lol

but seriously, there are alot of types of rear sways to get. If you have the money id get the OTTP hardcore bar (1.25" diameter).. otherwise you could go with the OTTP street bar (1" diameter) or the TTR bar (1" also)

it really depends on what you want. i always prefer oversteer when going into a corner so id preferably get the hardcore bar, but its expensive

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 01:07 PM
hawaii icon
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Ive heard tht front sway bars contribute to understeer from som of the auto cross guys out here. So I went with the eibach rear sway bar (no reazon other than its the brand I knew) and new sway bar endlinks.

---------- Post added at 09:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 AM ----------

Also I just saw that you have a base model. What other parts of your suspension have you upgraded? To get ready for this upcoming autocross season I put in a strut bar, sway bar end links, FE5 control arms, rear sway bar, and rear 'strut bar' from Bwoody. All this on top of my Koni yello shock and struts and SSi springs that I installed last year.

There are a lot of stories about our steering knuckles cracking during autocrossing. GM even released a set of 'comp grade' steering knuckles for our cars cuz it was such a problem. I tried ordering but they were on back order :(

---------- Post added at 09:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 AM ----------

Not trying to talk you out of it, but since I have the same plan ass you (autocrossing), I might as well share my setup and my concerns with you

Aspire to Inspire the Aspirations of the Inspirational
www.facebook.com/islandecotecs
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

I'm on Sportline springs and FE-5 shocks/struts. The rest is all stock. I've heard about the knuckles cracking and I thought I heard about the lower control arms cracking too. I plan to just keep a close eye on them and replace them if I have to. I ordered the TTR 1" bar. If anybody's interested, I can post some opinions after I get it in.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 08:18 PM
Forum God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBirdL61 View Post
I'm on Sportline springs and FE-5 shocks/struts. The rest is all stock. I've heard about the knuckles cracking and I thought I heard about the lower control arms cracking too. I plan to just keep a close eye on them and replace them if I have to. I ordered the TTR 1" bar. If anybody's interested, I can post some opinions after I get it in.
I've got the same setup (but the ottp street bar) and it makes a TON of difference. The car feels a lot more planted and it's much more flat through the turns. You'll love it
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 03:30 AM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerContributor

Garage
Get the Powell hardcore bar, and cabs.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 08:26 PM
Forum Regular

Start out with the Powell Street bar. Thats the bar I would go with, if you want more oversteer then you can step up to the Hardcore bar, but for the base model you shouldnt really need a bar that big, as long as your keeping the stock front bar.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

If I don't think the TTR bar I ordered is stiff enough, I have another plan in mind. If I follow through with it, I'll be sure to post a write up and pics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode