Strut Questions - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Strut Questions

I need to replace my struts as one is leaking. I'm not ready to spend money on springs for lowering, but only want to replace with a good quality part.

First a dumb question, if i buy a strut for example from summit that is not the entire strut assembly, will it (or most struts) just bolt into the existing assy? I saw the Koni thread where the assembly had to be modified, so i'm wondering if i'd have to do that.

Also, what strut would anyone recommend? i don't mind a stiffer ride than stock, i'm just looking for a quality part that is not too expensive.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 07:56 PM
Forum Regular

Send a message via MSN to skids09G5 Send a message via Yahoo to skids09G5
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix7979 View Post
I need to replace my struts as one is leaking. I'm not ready to spend money on springs for lowering, but only want to replace with a good quality part.

First a dumb question, if i buy a strut for example from summit that is not the entire strut assembly, will it (or most struts) just bolt into the existing assy? I saw the Koni thread where the assembly had to be modified, so i'm wondering if i'd have to do that.

Also, what strut would anyone recommend? i don't mind a stiffer ride than stock, i'm just looking for a quality part that is not too expensive.

Thanks

With struts you have to atleast replace the pair. Most shops will tell you that if you are going to replace one then you need to replace the other. If thats the case and you want a stiffer ride I would look around for the struts off the FE5 or the SS/TC then down the road you can get a set of Pedder springs which will lower the car and give the ride you want. Now the pedder springs are about $250 and the struts you will have to look around for. I would look on the site classifieds or look on CSS.nub or GMSportcompact.net classifieds to see if anyone is selling their TC struts. Then you can replace all 4 at the same time. Just remeber the rear is just a shock and spring with not strut tower.

Speed cost money...How fast do you wanna go!

"What can I say? Its a work in progress!"
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 09:24 PM
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix7979 View Post

Thanks
Are you referring to Summit Racing? Koni are nice but expensive. I'd say if you want a good inexpensive Strut go with KYB or Monroe. Monroe might have a quick strut that have both the spring and strut combined.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 12:02 AM
YourCobalt of the Quarter Winner
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Buy OEM Fe5 struts. They're about 90 bucks a piece on crate engine depot. Definitely worth it. I threw in a whole new suspension package all at the same time and the ride quality is better beyond epic proportion.

Forged L61 BW S252 Turbocharged Showoff Thread
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankerBalt View Post
Buy OEM Fe5 struts. They're about 90 bucks a piece on crate engine depot. Definitely worth it. I threw in a whole new suspension package all at the same time and the ride quality is better beyond epic proportion.
so the Fe5's are a slight upgrade from the stock struts? Yes i will be replacing both fronts.

The Fe5's look like it is a strut assembly that i can easily bolt on, but my question is if i get say the KYB GR-2 strut, will that bolt into my assembly if i remove the (old) strut from it?

Last edited by hendrix7979; 05-31-2011 at 05:57 AM.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 06:23 AM
YourCobalt of the Quarter Winner

Garage
https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/ins...nt-struts.html

read that, and if you think it's worth the time/effort/extra money to do koni's...then go for it. but the FE5's are cheaper and just as good of quality, if not better.

Forged L61 BW S252 Turbocharged Showoff Thread
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 08:52 AM
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
definitely dont go with the kyb over fe 5. kyb's are direct replacement for fe 1 struts. i wouldnt say dont get the koni's but they are a lot more money for no reason imo.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 04:54 PM
hawaii icon
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
The FE5 shocks/struts are a huge improvement iver the stock FE1 struts. Get that package off of crateenginedepot.com.

Aspire to Inspire the Aspirations of the Inspirational
www.facebook.com/islandecotecs
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 05:32 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
Cobalt FE5 Struts and Shock Pkg FE5-S - Crate Engine Depot

This is the crate engine depot link, for you.

Driving a 2006 Chevy Cobalt LT 2.2L, Alpine Type-S speakers & 10" Sub, Pioneer AVHP3200BT Receiver, Injen CAI
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 07:29 PM
Forum Regular

Garage
don't go with kyb i'd made that mistake an with 26,000mi. on them there already making a thunking noise an looking to replace them w/fe5. also i'm sitting on eibach prokit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
strut leaking replace

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode