Changing Struts - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
Question Changing Struts

Okay, this has been pissing me off.

I am changing my struts, shocks, and springs on Saturday. Thanks to the helpful writeups on this forum, I now know expertly exactly how to change my shocks and springs. But there's no How To that focuses on the struts, and any instructions regarding them don't have pictures.

As far as I can tell, you have to use an impact drive and a torx bit to loosen the "top nut"... but where is the top nut? Is it the centre thing in the recess, besides the tower bolts (and ground terminal on driver's side)? or is it a nut on the strut in the fender, under the engine compartment?

Then there's the matter of ABS. that's connected somewhere, and has to come off, IIRC, but I haven't seen anything except "be sure to take it off".

I'm just trying to get some clear information to make the swap as fast and painless as possible.

I'll be sure to take as many photographs as I can when doing it, too =D

Driving a 2006 Chevy Cobalt LT 2.2L, Alpine Type-S speakers & 10" Sub, Pioneer AVHP3200BT Receiver, Injen CAI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 07:07 PM
hawaii icon
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
yes the 'top nut' is the one in that recess. If you have an impact gun that's all you really need to remove it.

The abs sensor comes off when you remove the 2 lower strut bolts. Thats all you need to know. Take of the nuts and the sensor will come off. Just let it hang to the side, but remember to put it back on when you're putting everything back together!

Also make sure you disconnect the sway bar end link from the strut before you remove anything else.

Aspire to Inspire the Aspirations of the Inspirational
www.facebook.com/islandecotecs
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
So what's the order of which bolts I need to remove at which time?

Driving a 2006 Chevy Cobalt LT 2.2L, Alpine Type-S speakers & 10" Sub, Pioneer AVHP3200BT Receiver, Injen CAI

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 07:30 PM
hawaii icon
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Tires off, sway bar endlink at the strut. You might need to put a jack under to lift up on the strut to get it out. So you get that out, then with the strut still jacked up and comppressed take off the top bolt. Once that is off lower the jack all the way down and remove the 2 lower bolts. For the 2 lower bolts you'll need to tap them out once you undo the nuts.

Then when you put everything back just go in reverse order :0

Aspire to Inspire the Aspirations of the Inspirational
www.facebook.com/islandecotecs
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
*awesome*, I can't thank you enough! =D

Just one last question, when do I undo the two tower bolts? Same time as the top bolt?

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
Okay, so, I got the driver side 21mm off no (large) problem, but the passenger side one is... insane. My impact driver wouldn't move it, and me by myself have managed to get the whole part spinning =/ but I can't get the 21mm nut off at all. It's like... rusted shut.

EDIT: Also, the haynes manual says *nothing* about the 21mm... why does it need to come off, then?

Last edited by Serpentia; 08-13-2011 at 12:16 PM.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 12:12 PM
Staff Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentia View Post
Okay, so, I got the driver side 21mm off no (large) problem, but the passenger side one is... insane. My impact driver wouldn't move it, and me by myself have managed to get the whole part spinning =/ but I can't get the 21mm nut off at all. It's like... rusted shut.
Need more psi, compress the spring and take it to a garage and tell them to break it loose for u, should be free
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
Okay, so, after three hours of trying to undo nuts and bolts, I put it back together and on monday I'm changing my wheel alignment appointment to an installation appointment.

I don't know what the previous owner did, but the whole strut assembly is rusted and corroded to the point where the nuts have actually fused to the bolts. Industrial penetrants didn't even put a budge on anything. And I don't just mean the tower bolt. The bolt that connects the end link to the strut was the same- rusted completely. And, even with a friend holding a wrench on the inside of the endlink, and me using an impact drive on the nut, it *still* would spin the bolt. On *both sides*.

All I can say is thank god I'm replacing them... and whatever the shop does to get the old ones off and the new ones on... as long as it works and I can do it myself later.

Holy god, what a pain in the ass.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 03:51 PM
Staff Alumni

Garage
Why take them apart if you are changing the struts and springs? Just leave the stockers in one piece.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
Derp >_<

Not that that matters now anyhow... I can't get the old struts off the car at all anyways.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
change , strut , suspension

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode