OEM Tire and Wheel Weight - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Initiate

OEM Tire and Wheel Weight

I am considering new tires and wheels.
I need to know the OEM tire and wheel weights?
OEM 195/65-15, what are the weight of each?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 06:41 PM
Forum Regular

Why do you need to know the weight to get new tire and rims all that matters is the overall height of the tire if you want your speedometer to be right.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 06:38 AM
Forum Regular

You also need to know the offset, but usualy its not an issue? any specific reason you need the weight? I know if you are worried about it being too heavy a lot of aftermarket wheels can actually be lighter then the stock steelies.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperdt51 View Post
You also need to know the offset, but usualy its not an issue? any specific reason you need the weight? I know if you are worried about it being too heavy a lot of aftermarket wheels can actually be lighter then the stock steelies.
I currently have the OEM steel wheels. I want to go upto a 16" wheel.
I want to know the weight to be sure the new 16's equal to, or less than OEM.
My concerns are the OEM struts and steering components.
Extra weight would play havoc on the suspension, tha I do not want to deal with.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 10:56 PM
Veteran

Garage
i just got new wheels and tires 215/45/17's but the car still rides the same but better handling but suspension shouldn't feel any different

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 05:29 AM
Forum Regular

the suspension is made to handle different weights.. a few pounds on the tires is no worse than throwing some groceries in the trunk. Also not all tires weigh the same so there is always a difference in weight and the tires loose weight as they loose tread as well. And since your just going to 16's, dont worrie about it. Our cars came with 15" steels or 16" alloys as a factory opption (for an lt not talkin about the beast 18's on an ss or sport ) so it will handle it.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperdt51 View Post
the suspension is made to handle different weights.. a few pounds on the tires is no worse than throwing some groceries in the trunk. Also not all tires weigh the same so there is always a difference in weight and the tires loose weight as they loose tread as well. And since your just going to 16's, dont worrie about it. Our cars came with 15" steels or 16" alloys as a factory opption (for an lt not talkin about the beast 18's on an ss or sport ) so it will handle it.
Good points.
What if I chose a 17?
What is you opinion?

---------- Post added at 06:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:39 AM ----------

Who has thought about mounting other manufatures OEM wheels?
I found this, thought it may be of interest.
Wheel Bolt Pattern Cross Reference Database and Conversion Guide: Chevrolet *COBALT
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 06:25 AM
Forum Regular

I have seen plenty of people put anything up to a 19 on a cobalt and not have any issues. Just make sure the overall size is the same and your good to go. Someplace Like tire rack is a great place you can put your car make in and it will show you everything that will fit. and give you the recomened tire size for that rim.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode