Would It Be a Good Idea Just to Get Lowering Springs Using the Stock Shocks Struts ? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Would It Be a Good Idea Just to Get Lowering Springs Using the Stock Shocks Struts ?

Hey guys I've been thinking about lowering my Balt but I also am on a budget, I was thinking about just getting a set of lowering springs but before I did I wanted to make sure that it would be okay with all the stock struts and shocks without completely trashing the car. Plzzzzzz help !!!!!! Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 10:40 AM
Veteran

Garage
It is a good idea to replace shocks and struts at the same time. I have ksport springs and i had to replace the shocks because they went bad pretty quick after the springs went on. Have not replaced the struts yet. I should prolly do that before the snow starts falling
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 10:45 AM
Veteran

Garage
What model cobalt do you have? Youd be fine if you had a model with the FE5 suspension already, but otherwise upgrading the struts/shocks is recommended for lowering.

GpB311 Showoff Profile https://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/veh...ngeles-ca.html

You might also know me as Dick Thrusthumper...

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 11:20 AM
Contributor

Garage
You could probably run stock shocks and struts for 2-4,000 miles if youre feeling ballsy. But It is recommended you change them.

MOD's K&N Typhoon, H&R sport springs, Fe5 Shocks and Struts, Pacesetter Header, ZZP Catless Down pipe, Tsudo N1 Catback, #34 Injectors, B&M Shift plus, 8000k Low beams...

Still slow as Piss!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 11:22 AM
Cobalt Master

Garage
you will be fine! ive put roughly 20,000 on my car lowered on progress springs with stock struts.. ive met ppl that have run sportlines for over 100,000 miles on stock stuff without blowing a strut. it all depends on how hard you push your car or how good your roads are i guess.. the fe5 struts are always a good option to upgrade to if you ever want to tho

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 05:31 PM
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlock View Post
you will be fine! ive put roughly 20,000 on my car lowered on progress springs with stock struts.. ive met ppl that have run sportlines for over 100,000 miles on stock stuff without blowing a strut. it all depends on how hard you push your car or how good your roads are i guess.. the fe5 struts are always a good option to upgrade to if you ever want to tho
exactly^^ i would add how good you are at dodging potholes, and slowing down for bumps too.

if youre doing the swap yourself, it will save you a lot of cuss words doing them at the same time though.

Last edited by scagnetti76; 09-19-2011 at 05:33 PM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 05:50 PM
Veteran

Garage
True that. my struts were a pain in the ass to get out, wish i would have replaced them four months ago when i did the springs.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

haha so pretty much what you guys are saying is that its not a good idea just to replace the springs only
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 02:18 PM
Get Out The Sawzall
Staff AlumniCobalt Master

Garage
It's your choice man, is it a good idea to do it all at once? Yes it is a good idea. Do you have too? No you don't. There have been people who have put over 100K on their factory FE1's with a 2-2.5 drop. Other guys hav not had that good of an result. I currently have over 20K on my FE1's on a 2-2.5 with coils cut, no issues as of yet.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 10:25 PM
Contributor

I wanted to get Sportlines or any other good lowering springs. Thing is I have an auto and heard about axle bind.

2010 Cobalt 2LT Victory red Coupe
Mods: Tinted 50% ceramic all around, factory spoiler, 2008 LE5 2.4 Throttle body, GMPP Intake, Walker stock exhaust system (back to silence), TruBendz/MBE 2.5" catted Downpipe, HP Tuners by Chenry Motorsports, Alpine CDE-151 with USB port, Rockford Fosgate 300-10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode