Clunk Noise from Passenger Side After Installing Monroe Quick Struts - 2005 Cobalt - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Clunk Noise from Passenger Side After Installing Monroe Quick Struts - 2005 Cobalt

replaced my front struts with monroe quick struts. Now the passenger side makes a clunk noise when going downhill or turning left into a driveway with steep grade.

As an aside while replacing the passenger quick strut thanks to the torque wrench I ended up over torquing the mounting bolts and snapped one of the mounting bolts at the top. Anyway This clunk noise is after installing brand new struts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 09:14 PM
Forum Regular

If you only have two of the three studs holding it on, that could the issue right there. Jack it up and see if there is any movement at the upper perch. Check the nut on top of the strut assembly to make sure its torqued down too. I had a similar problem with my coilovers, turned out the nut on the top got loose, tightened it up and its been quiet ever since.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandaman15 View Post
If you only have two of the three studs holding it on, that could the issue right there. Jack it up and see if there is any movement at the upper perch. Check the nut on top of the strut assembly to make sure its torqued down too. I had a similar problem with my coilovers, turned out the nut on the top got loose, tightened it up and its been quiet ever since.
no all three studs are there because I installed a brand new strut. everything is tight no movement. nuts at top are tight.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 08:16 PM
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Did you get an alignment after installing them? Maybe the top hat isnt seated correctly on the spring.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
When you drop a control arm to change a strut, sometimes this is all that is needed to finish a lower control arm bushing. The hyperextension of the arm hanging down will seperate the rubber from the metal part and then when you unsuspectingly put everything back together you have a clunk at every bump. Inspect bushing and don't be affraid to pry on it to see if there is play or if it is sitting on the bracket then it is obvious. This problem is carry over from the Cavalier.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 08:48 PM
Staff Alumni

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
When you drop a control arm to change a strut, sometimes this is all that is needed to finish a lower control arm bushing. The hyperextension of the arm hanging down will seperate the rubber from the metal part and then when you unsuspectingly put everything back together you have a clunk at every bump. Inspect bushing and don't be affraid to pry on it to see if there is play or if it is sitting on the bracket then it is obvious. This problem is carry over from the Cavalier.
Good to know. Thx for posting that up. You're a handy guy to have around.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Thanks. I will check that out before going to belle tire.

is this the right way to check the lower control arm bushings?

How to Check the Control Arm Bushing | eHow.com
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 06:03 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Yes number 3 is the one that concerns you. Visually inspect the big 2 1/2'' bushing at rear of the lower control arm it is usually obvious if it needs replacing. If you see seperation,cracking or even sometimes the control arm actually touching the frame bracket that it bolts to, it needs changing.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Yes number 3 is the one that concerns you. Visually inspect the big 2 1/2'' bushing at rear of the lower control arm it is usually obvious if it needs replacing. If you see seperation,cracking or even sometimes the control arm actually touching the frame bracket that it bolts to, it needs changing.
ok thanks I'm going to jack it up and take a look. I know i should have waited till the spring to do the struts!
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 02:13 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by desimunda View Post
replaced my front struts with monroe quick struts. Now the passenger side makes a clunk noise when going downhill or turning left into a driveway with steep grade.

As an aside while replacing the passenger quick strut thanks to the torque wrench I ended up over torquing the mounting bolts and snapped one of the mounting bolts at the top. Anyway This clunk noise is after installing brand new struts.
I don't know if you saw my thread, but the Monroe Quickstruts for the Cobalt are defective! The springs are not the right size and there may be other issues as well. My mechanic replaced them 3 times and now he's giving up and ordering KYB Struts Plus.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode