Clunk Noise from Passenger Side After Installing Monroe Quick Struts - 2005 Cobalt - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 8
Clunk Noise from Passenger Side After Installing Monroe Quick Struts - 2005 Cobalt

replaced my front struts with monroe quick struts. Now the passenger side makes a clunk noise when going downhill or turning left into a driveway with steep grade.

As an aside while replacing the passenger quick strut thanks to the torque wrench I ended up over torquing the mounting bolts and snapped one of the mounting bolts at the top. Anyway This clunk noise is after installing brand new struts.
desimunda is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 09:14 PM
Forum Regular
 
dandaman15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: West Allis, WI
Posts: 197
If you only have two of the three studs holding it on, that could the issue right there. Jack it up and see if there is any movement at the upper perch. Check the nut on top of the strut assembly to make sure its torqued down too. I had a similar problem with my coilovers, turned out the nut on the top got loose, tightened it up and its been quiet ever since.
dandaman15 is offline  
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandaman15 View Post
If you only have two of the three studs holding it on, that could the issue right there. Jack it up and see if there is any movement at the upper perch. Check the nut on top of the strut assembly to make sure its torqued down too. I had a similar problem with my coilovers, turned out the nut on the top got loose, tightened it up and its been quiet ever since.
no all three studs are there because I installed a brand new strut. everything is tight no movement. nuts at top are tight.
desimunda is offline  
 
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 08:16 PM
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member


 
scagnetti76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Helena Mt
Posts: 3,700
Garage
Did you get an alignment after installing them? Maybe the top hat isnt seated correctly on the spring.
scagnetti76 is offline  
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member


 
Coby7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Magnetic Hill, New-Brunswick
Posts: 11,820
Garage
When you drop a control arm to change a strut, sometimes this is all that is needed to finish a lower control arm bushing. The hyperextension of the arm hanging down will seperate the rubber from the metal part and then when you unsuspectingly put everything back together you have a clunk at every bump. Inspect bushing and don't be affraid to pry on it to see if there is play or if it is sitting on the bracket then it is obvious. This problem is carry over from the Cavalier.
Coby7 is offline  
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 08:48 PM
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt.com Premium Member


 
scagnetti76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Helena Mt
Posts: 3,700
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
When you drop a control arm to change a strut, sometimes this is all that is needed to finish a lower control arm bushing. The hyperextension of the arm hanging down will seperate the rubber from the metal part and then when you unsuspectingly put everything back together you have a clunk at every bump. Inspect bushing and don't be affraid to pry on it to see if there is play or if it is sitting on the bracket then it is obvious. This problem is carry over from the Cavalier.
Good to know. Thx for posting that up. You're a handy guy to have around.
scagnetti76 is offline  
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
When you drop a control arm to change a strut, sometimes this is all that is needed to finish a lower control arm bushing. The hyperextension of the arm hanging down will seperate the rubber from the metal part and then when you unsuspectingly put everything back together you have a clunk at every bump. Inspect bushing and don't be affraid to pry on it to see if there is play or if it is sitting on the bracket then it is obvious. This problem is carry over from the Cavalier.
Thanks. I will check that out before going to belle tire.

is this the right way to check the lower control arm bushings?

How to Check the Control Arm Bushing | eHow.com
desimunda is offline  
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 06:03 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member


 
Coby7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Magnetic Hill, New-Brunswick
Posts: 11,820
Garage
Yes number 3 is the one that concerns you. Visually inspect the big 2 1/2'' bushing at rear of the lower control arm it is usually obvious if it needs replacing. If you see seperation,cracking or even sometimes the control arm actually touching the frame bracket that it bolts to, it needs changing.
Coby7 is offline  
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
Yes number 3 is the one that concerns you. Visually inspect the big 2 1/2'' bushing at rear of the lower control arm it is usually obvious if it needs replacing. If you see seperation,cracking or even sometimes the control arm actually touching the frame bracket that it bolts to, it needs changing.
ok thanks I'm going to jack it up and take a look. I know i should have waited till the spring to do the struts!
desimunda is offline  
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 02:13 PM
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by desimunda View Post
replaced my front struts with monroe quick struts. Now the passenger side makes a clunk noise when going downhill or turning left into a driveway with steep grade.

As an aside while replacing the passenger quick strut thanks to the torque wrench I ended up over torquing the mounting bolts and snapped one of the mounting bolts at the top. Anyway This clunk noise is after installing brand new struts.
I don't know if you saw my thread, but the Monroe Quickstruts for the Cobalt are defective! The springs are not the right size and there may be other issues as well. My mechanic replaced them 3 times and now he's giving up and ordering KYB Struts Plus.
steve333 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome