Upgrade Front Stabilizer Bar to FE3 or FE5 for 2007 FE1 Cobalt LT - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
Initiate

Upgrade Front Stabilizer Bar to FE3 or FE5 for 2007 FE1 Cobalt LT?

I am wanting to upgrade my stabilizer bar to make my front steering more firmer, right now it seems a little loose, but I have all new front end parts so that is not the source of the problem. I am thinking a bigger stabilizer bar will help the looseness feel and relieve some bump steer.

I plan to use Maven's method for the swap by the way don't for see any problems with the actual swapping of the bar. Mavens method calls for removal of bar by supporting the transmission, removing the rear tranmission mount and exhaust piece and sliding the bar out the passenger side wheel well, THE ENGINE CRADLE OR SUBFRAME WILL NOT BE DROPPED OR MOVED. I just want to know will the FE3 or FE5 bar slap any metal or cause any noises or other problems if I upgrade from an FE1 to FE3 or FE1 to FE5 bar.
The car is a daily driver so really I am just thinking of making the front end and steering more solid.

Would I run into any issues after I swap out my old FE1 stabilizer bar for
an FE3 stabilizer bar? Also, would I need an alignment after upgrading from FE1 to FE3 stabilizer bar?

Would anyone suggest upgrading to an FE5 instead of FE3 stabilizer bar and would I run into any issues after I swap out my old FE1 stabilizer bar for FE5 one? Also, would I need an alignment after upgrading from FE1 to FE5 stabilizer bar?

Thanks.

Last edited by AZBY; 10-19-2013 at 06:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 06:41 AM
YourCobalt of the Quarter Winner
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Better struts and springs will help out more than the sway bar. Endlinks will probably help. Swapping the front sway bar is a pain. But the lnf 23mm is probably the one you'll want

Forged L61 BW S252 Turbocharged Showoff Thread
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 07:14 AM
Forum God

Garage
Blower car is a smidge smaller, but it's solid...not hallow IIRC...

Get the SS/SC front bar.

Eibach sportlines, Progress RSB, 20mm wider tires.

The Racekar - SOLD!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIW9XK_WMR4
2007 Cashmere Metallic Chevy Cobalt LT Sedan...totaled 04/11/2011
2010 VR Cobalt 2LT Sedan Debadged, ZZP Intake, Custom 2.5" Exhaust/Borla Pro XS, FE5 Bidnez with KSport Springs.
Previously dumped on BC Xtreme Low's...RIP LOWLYFE :(

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Initiate

I have original factory springs, new ac delco premium struts, moog sway bar endlinks, new control arms, new moog tire rod ends, new ac delco steering rack, new ac delco inner tie rods, new doorman intermediate shaft, new timken wheel bearing hub assemblies and new goodyear comforttred 205/55/16 tires.

I probably won't change from the factory springs and I don't want to lower my car. I just want the front end and steering to be as solid as possible, thats why I was wanting to do the stabilizer bar upgrade and possibly add steering rack spacers if that could help my steering be more solid.

Last edited by AZBY; 10-19-2013 at 12:22 PM.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
You should have no side effects by upgrading from FE1 to FE5 and you won't need an alignment. You will how ever need new saddle brackets and bushings. This will stiffen your ride in corners and may also make it a bit rougher in bumps.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Initiate

@Coby7 I don't think it will make it to much harder on bumps. I have moog upper strut bushings and bearings and those sit close to the metal housing of the upper strut mounting plate, so when I hit bumps I just feel a slight bump. The current oem stabilizer bar and new oem bushings are already noisy as it is so I won't mind if the new ones do the same.

But I guess I could ask by a bit rougher would do you mean?
Do you mean bumps will seem harder?

I already get some bump steer when I hit big bumps. So I am thinking that the stabilizer should alleviate some of that bump steer.

Last edited by AZBY; 10-19-2013 at 04:53 PM.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Bumps will be harder, I and a lot of ppl have FE5 and the difference is noticeable but the stiffness is awesome

WA636R - Switchblade Silver Mt 09 Sedan LT 2.2L LAP......Auto!

MODS:Fe5 TC Shock + Struts\Moog Endlinks\YYZ V1 Springs\SC Gunmetal Wheels. Badmab Shorty Header\GMPP Performance Exhaust\ZZP 2.5 Catted DP\K&N Drop-in filter\High Flow Intake Tube. Gen4 Headlights\6K Low Beam HID\LED 3rd Brake Light\LED Turn Signals,Plate,Trunk, Dome, Reverse, Side-marker\ Debadge "LT" & GM fender badges\Shorty Antenna

Join YC.com on Facebook! Like YC.com on facebook too!
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Initiate

I don't want the bumps to be any harder than they are now. I may settle for an FE3 stabilizer bar for a happy medium. I like stiff steering to a point, but not if I have to live with a hard and ruff ride along with it.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 08:47 AM
Forum God

Garage
It's not bad.

At all. Especially on stock springs. You're over thinking it.

The Racekar - SOLD!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIW9XK_WMR4
2007 Cashmere Metallic Chevy Cobalt LT Sedan...totaled 04/11/2011
2010 VR Cobalt 2LT Sedan Debadged, ZZP Intake, Custom 2.5" Exhaust/Borla Pro XS, FE5 Bidnez with KSport Springs.
Previously dumped on BC Xtreme Low's...RIP LOWLYFE :(
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
If you want the car to be tighter get a rear sway bar to eliminate roll. FE5 front sway bars are different between 05-07 and 08-10 fyi

05 Mitsubishi Evolution 8
05 Chevy Cobalt LS (RIP 7/13/2013)
99 Nissan Altima GXE (Daily)
99 Subaru Legacy (Daily)
07 Jeep Liberty Limited (No longer the tow truck for the balt )

If you have questions and I'm not on please PM, notifications go straight to my phone 24/7.

My Showoff
Join YC on FB
Syndicate of Tuners.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode