Spring Rates - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2014, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
Spring Rates

Ok i have been trying to look around and figure out what I can about spring rates. I am on B&g's and they are to soft it hits bump stops on every pebble in the road. I did removed most of the bump stops. Shocks and struts are FE5. The B&G spring is progressive.
Maybe I put the rears in upside down? Does it matter? There is nothing in my trunk but the spare tire and the battery. So nothing is weighing down. Went to the B&G website and it does not say what the spring rate is.
There are sooooooo many springs and coil overs out there its hard to know what to buy. I have seen cars lower than mine ride smooth which is what i would like. Low and smooth not all bouncy like a go cart.
Any ideas, hints, or even hey you are doing this wrong would be appreciated. And thank you for listening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2014, 12:46 AM
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

How long have you had them in?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 01-30-2014, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
They have been under the car for about 2 years or so I guess.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
People rarely talk about spring rates, it's mostly just brand names that fly around. If you want low, B&Gs are supposed to be one of the better ones. However, if you want something that performs well, people say great things about YYZs. The drop isn't staggering but you'll more than make up for it with other qualities. I run Pedders and they're pretty much the same deal as the Powell springs.

Maybe your set is just tired?

'07 Eclipse GT build thread - 280whp, 254wtq
Old 01-30-2014, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
I've thought about the fact they could worn out. But springs don't really wear out unless you beat on it hard doing some rock crawling maybe? I have friends in in the off road world and one of which beats on his truck pretty hard thanks to his one ton axles. I have only ever seen broken leaf springs. So I have no idea what's wrong with my car.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:15 PM
Contributor

Maybe you have bad shocks. It it just in the rear?

---------- Post added at 04:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:13 PM ----------

BTW I have FE5 shocks and struts and B&G springs and my ride is very stiff, more like a sports car.

Shorty Antenna, Painted Calipers, SAI K&N Intake, B&G Lowering Springs, FE5 Shocks and Struts, Moog End Links, Moog Tie Rod Ends, Polk Audio DXi650 Speakers - front and back.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
The front doesn't really hit bump stops it's mainly the rear. It has been like this sense I installed the FED shocks and struts.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:36 PM
Contributor

I guess I am not familiar with the term "hitting bump stops". What do you mean by this?

---------- Post added at 04:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:22 PM ----------

OK I googled it. I didn't even realize Cobalts had bump stops. So if you mean the ride bottoms out, what kind of bumps are you going over?

Shorty Antenna, Painted Calipers, SAI K&N Intake, B&G Lowering Springs, FE5 Shocks and Struts, Moog End Links, Moog Tie Rod Ends, Polk Audio DXi650 Speakers - front and back.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
when the bump stops touch each other while driving hitting bumps, dips, speed bumps. Also called bottoming car out?
Old 01-30-2014, 09:16 PM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by firigidice View Post
when the bump stops touch each other while driving hitting bumps, dips, speed bumps. Also called bottoming car out?
Bottoming out when you scrape the bottom of the car on the road or a speed bump...

---------- Post added at 11:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 PM ----------

Don't buy Twin s-techs because I have the same issue you have...

2009 Imperial Blue Metallic Cobalt SS/TC Sedan - "Stock":
2008 Victory Red HHR SS - Stock
2005 Chili Pepper Red Ion Redline - Stock
2007 Sunburst Orange Metallic LS Coupe - Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement