08 LS FE5 Shocks and Struts?? Lowering Springs?? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 100 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
08 LS FE5 Shocks and Struts?? Lowering Springs??

This is my first post so sorry if people have already gone over all of this, just looking for opinions. Anyway, i have a bad strut so figured id go semi all out with a new suspension. was looking at the FE5's from CED.
Cobalt FE5 Struts and Shock Pkg FE5-S
Wondering what else i will need if i buy these. mounts or anything else or keep stock. BTW i have 110K miles. as for springs, ive heard a lot of good things about the SSC lowering springs
SSC - SSC Lowering Springs #
Please let me know what else i would need to make this happen and if the SSC springs are a good choice. I plan on doing this within the next month or so.

Getting sick of the lift kit it came with
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 100 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 02:05 PM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerForum God

Those are good but don't expect to keep anywhere near the same ride quality as stock.

2009 Cobalt LS XFE (F23) Victory Red
YYZ V.3 Springs, Koni shocks/struts, Powell XXX rear swaybar, Brembo brake swap, 5 lug conversion, Ion Redline wheels, SS/SC interior swap including power conversion, K&N intake, Trifecta tune, Ark Performance N-II catback, Ark shorty antenna, SS body kit, Powell F23 rotated mount, LNF rear mount, Powell CABs
Soon to come- EFR 6758 turbo kit and make Retro Headlights.
post #3 of 100 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
thanks for the quick reply. i understand i will be loosing ride quality. ive rode in plenty of lower cars to understand that. as for springs do you have any suggestions? not trying to slam it but drop at least 1.5 inches. and do you know what else i will need with the strut and shock package? also i see you did a 5 lug conversion, did you just get hubs off an ss or something else?

post #4 of 100 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 02:26 PM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullett View Post
This is my first post so sorry if people have already gone over all of this, just looking for opinions. Anyway, i have a bad strut so figured id go semi all out with a new suspension. was looking at the FE5's from CED.
Cobalt FE5 Struts and Shock Pkg FE5-S
Wondering what else i will need if i buy these. mounts or anything else or keep stock. BTW i have 110K miles. as for springs, ive heard a lot of good things about the SSC lowering springs
SSC - SSC Lowering Springs #
Please let me know what else i would need to make this happen and if the SSC springs are a good choice. I plan on doing this within the next month or so.

Getting sick of the lift kit it came with
right there with shipping your almost at $600. You could always just save a bit more and get coilovers and really go all out. I have tien s-stech lowering springs on the stock ss/sc front struts and with the rear shock absorbers, and I hate it. I will never do just springs again. We put coils on my buddy's car and the ride in his compared to mine is like night and day.

2009 Imperial Blue Metallic Cobalt SS/TC Sedan - "Stock":
2008 Victory Red HHR SS - Stock
2005 Chili Pepper Red Ion Redline - Stock
2007 Sunburst Orange Metallic LS Coupe - Sold
post #5 of 100 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
i see where you're coming from and understand. Money isn't the issue for me, i can afford to go coilovers, but i cant constitute spending $1500+ on suspension. If i did go coilovers are there any good "cheaper" ones and what else would i need with them.
post #6 of 100 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 02:44 PM
Expert

I've only been in cobalt with coilovers and it's my buddys he has the Stance coilovers. I'm pretty sure they go for about 1100 to 1300 depending on where they come from. I;ve also heard of a few people using k-sport and megan coilovers, but i've never driven or rode in a car with them on. They are all basically direct replacements, nothing else is really needed.

Last edited by blu3_v1p3r; 03-25-2014 at 11:31 PM.
post #7 of 100 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
ok, i like the look form those and the BC and Ksport Kontrol also. Is the coilovers all i need? just bolt em up and go or do i need to replace some other parts also. and how bouncy is your friends car? i had a buddy with coilovers on his civic and that thing was bouncy as hell.
post #8 of 100 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 03:30 PM
Expert

His car on the stance coilovers isn't really bouncy at all. It rides just a tad stiffer then the stock ss/tc.

post #9 of 100 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Garage
ok and im not gonna need anything else? is it going to be rough on my other stock parts?
post #10 of 100 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 05:12 PM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerForum God

I find it hard to believe it's just a tad stiffer. I'm on YYZ's and I wouldn't really want it much harsher.

Yeah it's just 4 new hubs (had one going bad anyways) and either redrill stock front rotors or switch to SS brakes (or another 5 lug brake setup). You'll also need to buy new drums for the rear that are the 5 lug pattern. Lastly for the front hubs make sure they are from anything but the LNF it has a different axle spline than any other cobalt hub. Not sure on what combination would cause you to loose ABS but I don't have it so it wasn't a worry to me.

2009 Cobalt LS XFE (F23) Victory Red
YYZ V.3 Springs, Koni shocks/struts, Powell XXX rear swaybar, Brembo brake swap, 5 lug conversion, Ion Redline wheels, SS/SC interior swap including power conversion, K&N intake, Trifecta tune, Ark Performance N-II catback, Ark shorty antenna, SS body kit, Powell F23 rotated mount, LNF rear mount, Powell CABs
Soon to come- EFR 6758 turbo kit and make Retro Headlights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode