Wheel Bearing Issue - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
Initiate

Wheel Bearing Issue

Last weekend on a drive into the city I noticed a hum that got louder the quicker I went, and doesn't change based on engine rpm. It sounds like a wheel bearing, but I can't figure out which one it is. I had the wheels off to service the front and rear brakes, and found no clue that points to which side it is. I'm a little concerned because I have to go on a trip today (about 200 miles round trip), and I wish I could fix it before I leave but that doesn't look like it's in the cards. Am I missing some simple way of figuring this out? Turning doesn't seem to change the pitch or which side it's coming from, either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 06:01 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
A bearing can be noisy a very long time before it fails catastrophically. If you have ABS you will soon get a code telling you which bearing has failed, otherwise you have to put it on a hoist and have the wheels turning and listen at each steering knuckle with a stethoscope to hear which one has gone bad.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
Initiate

Non-abs, so no help there. I'll have to find myself a stethoscope, and give that a shot. When you say a very long time, are we talking thousands/tens of thousands? I know it's probably very dependant on that specific bearing, but still. I remember my brother having a bearing that was bad in his car, and it was insanely loud and from a stop essentially.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 07:00 AM
Prospect

Another method for testing hubs/bearings is to:

Jack up the suspected tire/ hoist the car. Make sure the tire you are testing is not locked by the transmission or emergency brakes. Spin the wheel with a decent amount of force - the more the better. While spinning the wheel grab the coil spring on your strut/shock absorber. IF you feel slight vibrations in the coil spring or there is great resistance while spinning the wheel, you likely have found the bad bearing. Compare with the other wheels to confirm.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 07:01 AM
Staff Alumni

Trick I learned from an old mechanic. Put a metal pry bar up against the strut while the wheel turns (off the ground). Put your ear up to the handle and you'll be able to hear which one is bad.

2009 Ford Escape Limited - 3.0L, 6 speed auto, 4x4, 25/33 city/hwy imp mpg.
2017 F150 XLT-XTR - 5.0L, 4x4, 3.55's, E-locker, xtr chrome package, fx4 off-road package.
20/25 imp mpg
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 08:51 AM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerForum God

You could easily go 2k miles on a bad wheel bearing. I wouldn't suggest that but it shouldn't fail either.

2009 Cobalt LS XFE (F23) Victory Red
YYZ V.3 Springs, Koni shocks/struts, Powell XXX rear swaybar, Brembo brake swap, 5 lug conversion, Ion Redline wheels, SS/SC interior swap including power conversion, K&N intake, Trifecta tune, Ark Performance N-II catback, Ark shorty antenna, SS body kit, Powell F23 rotated mount, LNF rear mount, Powell CABs
Soon to come- EFR 6758 turbo kit and make Retro Headlights.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 10:51 AM
Forum Regular

I've drove way more than that on a bad wheel bearing , again tho I wouldn't recommend it

99 zr2 solid axle swap in progress
2006 Chevy Cobalt work car 282k and counting
2007 g6 gt family car
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 11:13 AM
Initiate

another way to test for a failing hub is to lift the car and apply pressure to the top and bottom (alternating) of the wheel you are checking and feel for play. Its either there or its not. but you can get a new wheel bearing/hub assembly (non-abs) on rockauto for $40 each plus shipping. I would replace (both up front if you have discs + drums) and be done with it.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 11:46 AM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerForum God

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry06 View Post
I've drove way more than that on a bad wheel bearing , again tho I wouldn't recommend it
Thus the easily, know of someone that went about 8k and I personally went 3k because I was saving to do a 5 lug and Brembo swap. Just trying to say that 200 miles is nothing to worry about but replacing sooner rather than later is still recommended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxxx89 View Post
another way to test for a failing hub is to lift the car and apply pressure to the top and bottom (alternating) of the wheel you are checking and feel for play. Its either there or its not. but you can get a new wheel bearing/hub assembly (non-abs) on rockauto for $40 each plus shipping. I would replace (both up front if you have discs + drums) and be done with it.
Don't know where you see them for $40 unless the quality isn't there. Put on 4 new Timken wheel bearings at about $115 each. Granted those had unneeded sensors that are now disconnected and are 5 not 4 lug.

2009 Cobalt LS XFE (F23) Victory Red
YYZ V.3 Springs, Koni shocks/struts, Powell XXX rear swaybar, Brembo brake swap, 5 lug conversion, Ion Redline wheels, SS/SC interior swap including power conversion, K&N intake, Trifecta tune, Ark Performance N-II catback, Ark shorty antenna, SS body kit, Powell F23 rotated mount, LNF rear mount, Powell CABs
Soon to come- EFR 6758 turbo kit and make Retro Headlights.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 06:25 PM
Chevy Customer Service
YourCobalt.com Premium MemberExpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroadvirus View Post
Last weekend on a drive into the city I noticed a hum that got louder the quicker I went, and doesn't change based on engine rpm. It sounds like a wheel bearing, but I can't figure out which one it is. I had the wheels off to service the front and rear brakes, and found no clue that points to which side it is. I'm a little concerned because I have to go on a trip today (about 200 miles round trip), and I wish I could fix it before I leave but that doesn't look like it's in the cards. Am I missing some simple way of figuring this out? Turning doesn't seem to change the pitch or which side it's coming from, either.
Hello,

I understand that you are having some wheel bearing concerns. I am not able to offer any technical advice, but I will be glad to look further into your concern for you. Please send us a private message if we can be if any assistance. I look forward to your reply!

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Have you checked into Chevrolet Owner Center? You can maintain service history, check on warranty or recall information, and more. Visit my.chevrolet.com!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode