Some Wheel and Speedometer Questions - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Some Wheel and Speedometer Questions

I have a newish to me 2006 Cobalt LT. It has the stock alloy wheels and tire size (205-55-16). Couple of questions I'm hoping I can get some help with:

1. What size tires is the speedometer calibrated for? I believe 195-60-15 is the base size. Was the speedometer re-calibrated from the factory to reflect the car is running 205-55-16 tires or is the variance across the models within reason and all speedometers on Cobalt's were left to correspond with the base (or some other) tire size?

2. Is there an accepted list of other wheels that fit Cobalts? I know there are many lug pattern guides online, I always get a little lost if wheels I have in mind are an exact fit.

I'm specifically thinking of taking tires and wheels off of a Saturn SL2 in the future but wondering if I will have slight issues. What I see online seems to indicate they will match, and the tire size (185-65-15) seems to be within acceptable tolerances vs the 205-55-16 based on some online calculators. (Optional size for the Saturn is also 195-60-15 so that is another reason I'm considering the swap as well.)

Saturn S-series Bolt Pattern - contrary to what this says the Saturn I have in mind has 15" wheels.
Cobalt Both Pattern

2006 Cobalt LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Bump - anyone?

Especially interested to know on the speedometer calibration.

2006 Cobalt LT
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 07:17 AM
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Pretty sure the speedometer is calibrated differently depending on the wheels the car came from the factory with, as are other things like the governor.

As for wheels, I can't be too sure as I've never bought aftermarket rims before.

'07 Eclipse GT build thread - 280whp, 254wtq

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 07:37 AM
Veteran

Garage
Wheel size is calibrated through the BCM. Wheel speed is calculated and relayed to the cluster. You are able to select different wheel sizes with a tech 2. To test your speedo, you could download a speedometer app for your smartphone and check it against your cars speedo.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode