Planning My Future Drop - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Garage
Planning My Future Drop

I am beginning the planning process for lowering my car hopefully by the end of this summer, if not for the the beginning to next, and I was wondering if anyone has any tips or experience with dropping a car six or more inches. I understand that it is not just a simple drop, and that many components will have to be relocated or deleted (gas tank, brake lines, exhaust, etc...) and that I will be cutting away and rebuilding just about everything around the wheels and axles, I have come to terms with that. I am making it a long term project and want to have it planned and mapped out extensively before I even start to acquire all the components so I can get together a parts/tools list and have everything gathered before I start in on it. Basically I am looking for any tips on elements of the build that would be commonly over looked or if anyone knows any tricks to getting the job done a little easier.

now...

Goal...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 05:55 PM
Forum Regular

wtf you talking about moving the gas tank and stuff? lol

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Garage
A lot of the time when people take their cars that low they remove the stock gas tank and fit an aftermarket one somewhere in the trunk to remove the possibility of it hitting something and taking damage while driving, and it gives you the option to go a little lower then you would be able to otherwise.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

Garage
the meat of the project will most likely be this air setup, unless I find something cheaper with roughly the same kit before I end up ordering it

Air Lift Lifestyle Air Bag Suspension Kits - Air Lift Air Springs & Shocks Suspension Kit

At this point I have no experience with air suspensions but it looks pretty straight forward. Has anyone installed this type of setup before?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 08:31 AM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerForum God

There's two people to talk to CAD and Randy, Randy has a turbo auto base that's as low as you want and it requires lots of work. He makes custom coilovers for it. CAD has an air ride suspension. Both are more active on CSS

2009 Cobalt LS XFE (F23) Victory Red
YYZ V.3 Springs, Koni shocks/struts, Powell XXX rear swaybar, Brembo brake swap, 5 lug conversion, Ion Redline wheels, SS/SC interior swap including power conversion, K&N intake, Trifecta tune, Ark Performance N-II catback, Ark shorty antenna, SS body kit, Powell F23 rotated mount, LNF rear mount, Powell CABs
Soon to come- EFR 6758 turbo kit and make Retro Headlights.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 09:26 AM
Forum Regular

it's still sad that the static cars are lower then bagged :/

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 12:05 PM
YourCobalt of the Quarter Winner
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Fitz, honestly dunno how they do it lol My tires bottom out on the unibody in the front and the rear beam bottoms out on the exhaust
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewcarr1993 View Post
There's two people to talk to CAD and Randy, Randy has a turbo auto base that's as low as you want and it requires lots of work. He makes custom coilovers for it. CAD has an air ride suspension. Both are more active on CSS
Thanks man

---------- Post added at 07:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_A_D88 View Post
Fitz, honestly dunno how they do it lol My tires bottom out on the unibody in the front and the rear beam bottoms out on the exhaust
Yeah I plan on cutting away a lot of metal to make more room for the wheels and to relocate the exhaust a little higher up to try to avoid that lol
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 02:23 PM
Forum Regular

yea just tub the fenderwells if ur gonna run wide wheels or something too

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz88 View Post
yea just tub the fenderwells if ur gonna run wide wheels or something too
Yeah that's the plan, I also plan on fabricating custom wide fenders to give me an extra four inches or so to work with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode