Brake "Grinding" - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Brake "Grinding"

Hey guys,

I have been having a weird issue with my brakes for a little while and I'm not completely sure what's causing it (or necessarily how to even describe it). The best description I can give is that when I brake, a light, rhythmic (to tire rotation) "grinding" sound occurs. I can also faintly feel it on the brake pedal as well.

I also recorded the sound (its faint!) if that description doesn't do it justice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F55T-1cXiwo.

I appreciate any help you are able to provide!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 03:00 PM
Staff Alumni

Rotors are warped. Change rotors and pads and you'll be good

Sent from the sexy electrician

2009 Ford Escape Limited - 3.0L, 6 speed auto, 4x4, 25/33 city/hwy imp mpg.
2017 F150 XLT-XTR - 5.0L, 4x4, 3.55's, E-locker, xtr chrome package, fx4 off-road package.
20/25 imp mpg
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Probably just need to hammer the rust off the edge of the rotor. You probably knocked rust off in one spot and now everytime that spot goes by the pads you hear it. I just did my driver's side on the 07 Cobalt and problem disappeared.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 02:12 PM
Forum Regular

Thank you!!! I have the same program and am trying to find a cause. For some odd reason, when I am in a safe position to record the noise, it doesn't happen.

I also have this noise that I found in a video. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C8kgXLHc1A).

I went to the dealer and was told I needed new front pads and rotors. However, I still have the same problem. Any other possible causes? Wheel bearings?

Last edited by cobalt3365; 10-19-2014 at 02:27 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 12:11 PM
mep
Newcomer

I've got 96K miles on my Cobalt, fairly new front pads (80+% pad remaining), rotors in excellent shape with no indications of warping. The only symptom was a horrible grinding noise.

I bought new pads, new rotors, and even decided to buy new rear drums just in case a little Ventriloquism was in play.

Given the great condition of the rotors and easy installation, I decided to just install the pads and give it a test drive. Much to my surprise, I remedied the horrible front brake grinding noise with a simple brake pad replacement. The old pads looked the same as the new pads, so I don't know what was causing them to grind against the rotors. They're probably in the landfill by now!!

Michael
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 03:08 PM
Prospect

Check the slider clips that hold your pads in and make sure your pads can move freely.
Remove as much rust off the clips and calipers as you can.
When you put the pads back in, or replace them, MAKE SURE TO USE SIL-GLIDE grease on the pad tips and slider clips. DONT USE JUST ANY GREASE OR ANTI-SEIZE!
Sil-Glide is meant for high-temp/friction. Other greases can harden and be useless.
Also, unscrew and pull out the slide pins, and make sure the slot they go into (inside the rubber sleeve) is free of rust. Lastly, make sure you are able to compress your piston without TOO much force. You need a lot to compress it, but nothing more than normal force on a pair of locking pliers.

I just did a full brake job on mu front end yesterday.

Its funny how you don't realize you have bad brakes until you have good ones to compare against, lol.

Good luck!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 12:29 PM
Forum Regular

UPDATE:

I took it back to the dealer. The sound was coming from the rear. They resurfaced the rear drums and cleaned the brakes. So far, so good.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 10:40 PM
Newcomer

I have a similar problem...but mine only does it when it is wet out....and comes from the rear.... mine always sounds like a rock in the drum....horrible noise....but after a little braking it goes away...and I have completely checked them and no odd wear or rocks in there....I am about to completely go away from Chevy products....my last 2 have nickle and dimed me to death...its always small things...and mine is serviced regularly...on time or before... The 07 has done ok but it seems there are little issues like the breaks....transmission intermittently shifting hard...thermostat going out every year...little elctrical issues....and all the recalls.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode