Which Side Goes Up for Front Strut Bearing? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Which Side Goes Up for Front Strut Bearing?

Okay, say you had a front strut bearing sitting in front of you for a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LT sedan. You don't have a factory strut assembly to compare it with (let's say you just had to assemble all the parts of a front strut assembly piece by piece). How would you know which side of the front strut bearing goes up when you install it on a strut assembly? Or does it not matter which side goes up?

Last edited by H3br3wHamm3r81; 08-24-2014 at 03:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 05:56 AM
Staff Alumni

I remember at one point I posted a thread on the same subject. I recall the outcome of the conversation being that it doesn't matter from a functionality perspective. I know that I haven't had any issues.

However, the aftermarket one is of a different design than the OEM. The OEM is essentially symmetrical (when sliced like a bagel). That one can be placed either way. The aftermarket one has a top piece, and the bottom piece that sits inside the top piece. If you're using that one, the black side (if I recall) is on top, because it won't allow debris to work its way inside the bearing, if that makes sense.

"You all know I take great pride in my title as Mr. Positive."
My Showoff
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 06:24 AM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
The canapy side goes up, black side on a MOOG.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Thanks for the responses.

These are GM parts (P/N 22712116), not aftermarket.

Here's some pics of new ones I just pulled out of their packaging. They're definitely not symmetrical as far as the halves are concerned.

I replaced the strut assemblies about a month ago. I think I overtightened one of them, as there seems to be some tension in the steering wheel when making a left turn, IIRC. In addition, I think, I think, that I did not flip the strut bearing on the driver's side. Meaning, I kept it the way it should be. However, I know I may have flipped the passenger side as I was not aware that both sides of the bearing were different. I had started with the passenger side strut assembly first. I guess I'll start with driver's side first this time and see what the position of the strut bearing is. That should be the right position.

You mentioned "canapy" side. Do you mean, "canopy"? Would that be the white section because it extends over the side more than the black section?

Last edited by H3br3wHamm3r81; 08-28-2014 at 02:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
strut bearing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode