Coilover Help - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Prospect

Coilover Help

First off, I own an 08' ls and it is my dd. Current stock suspension and I want it lowered but with a smooth ride, it's way too bumpy and stiff right now. So with that said I've been looking into coils and from what I've seen there are numerous brands but not a whole lot of reviews as far as comfort, any opinions or reviews? I want a flush ride and have been looking at tein/BC/CX/ksport/kyb. Opinions and input would be awesome, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 03:14 PM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerForum God

You want a better ride and lower well that's not happening, coilovers will be the harshest and anything lower at all will be harsher than stock. Best thing you can do for the ride is getting tires that absorb impacts better.

2009 Cobalt LS XFE (F23) Victory Red
YYZ V.3 Springs, Koni shocks/struts, Powell XXX rear swaybar, Brembo brake swap, 5 lug conversion, Ion Redline wheels, SS/SC interior swap including power conversion, K&N intake, Trifecta tune, Ark Performance N-II catback, Ark shorty antenna, SS body kit, Powell F23 rotated mount, LNF rear mount, Powell CABs
Soon to come- EFR 6758 turbo kit and make Retro Headlights.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 04:40 PM
Forum Regular

Ha! Andrew and I been through before. I am a big fan of coilovers. I have not tried every spring and shock set up but until now I always went coilover and never looked back. Lack of funds at the time stopped me from getting this time. My Balt rides nice but I am still convinced coilovers would have been better. And I never had this harsh ride Andrew talks about. But we do agree on softer tire helps with softer ride.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 05:07 PM

YYZ's are arguably one of the best springs to have a decent ride and I've had both stiff walled tires and softer wall tires and that alone makes a huge difference between a harsh ride and relatively smooth. I always go for performance though and am now riding on summer tires with a stiff sidewall and not to forgiving in bumps. I have some links for you nowachevyowner as to why the coilovers are worse than YYZ springs and Koni's.

YYZ V.3 Springs, Koni shocks/struts, Powell XXX rear swaybar, Brembo brake swap, 5 lug conversion, Ion Redline wheels, SS/SC interior swap including power conversion, K&N intake, Trifecta tune, Ark Performance N-II catback, Ark shorty antenna, SS body kit, Powell F23 rotated mount, LNF rear mount, Powell CABs
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Just go with lowering springs if absolute performance is not the main objective. Stock FE1s are very soft and squishy, those'll probably be the most comfortable shock/spring combo and won't cost you a dime because you already have them. I went with FE5 shocks/struts (from the 2008-2010 SS turbo) and Pedders springs, which are tuned more for performance. The ride is stiffer but nothing that'll dislocated any vertebrae. Car sits a bit lower and turns a bit sharper. Couldn't ask for more in the sub $750 range.

'07 Eclipse GT build thread - 280whp, 254wtq
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 08:09 PM

YYZ springs are not just lowering springs so that's the only way your example fits, they are tuned for the car.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
YYZ springs are not just lowering springs? That's exactly what they are, lowering springs.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 09:00 PM

They don't fit the just that general name, I'd label them as performance springs above all else that happen to slightly lower the car.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
So it's a question of labels. I'd put everything aftermarket into the 'lowering spring' category, as they all (at least, I hope) have that effect. Some are designed more for low, others for performance. YYZs would be the ladder, just like Pedders.

If the OP is not building a dedicated track car or slamming it, I'd say skip the coils and just get springs.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 09:13 PM

Coilovers are more low than certain springs although some can be made to be good they aren't the best.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode