New Tires - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Cobalt Master
Staff Alumni
YourCobalt of the Quarter Winner
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Thumbs up New Tires

Well im debating on what on tires to get, ill get a discount thro the shop I work at now so im looking plus I need better tires compared to last year winter sliding all around on bs tires that came with the rims I bought so what kind of tires should I get? I was looking at michelin pilot sport a/s 3 for 663 for all 4 with road harrard coverage then bfgs g force sport comp 2 all 4 for 550.any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 11:49 AM
Contributor

I'm running Toyo Eclipse tires, which are decent for Winter, but I run Wintercat XT studs in the Winter. In fact, I'm getting my studs put on today. If you don't plan on getting Winter tires, get a set of good All-Seasons. Toyo Eclipses are Les Schwab's 2nd best and I'm very happy with them.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Cobalt Master
Staff Alumni

Dont think I can use studs

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 03:45 PM
Contributor

Studs are optional. You can get Winter tires that are studless. It's mainly the tread, rubber, and sipes that help Winter tires work very well in snow and ice. The studs mainly improve traction for ice, but are illegal in some places because they tear up the roads.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 04:08 PM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerForum God

Where are you located, I've done two winters a light one and a heavy one both on brand new all seasons, the bad one was pretty much the driving equivalent of hell. I'm investing in good snow tires this year and more likely than not won't be going studded. I would really like to splurge and be able to get Nokian Hakka R2 tires but might end up with General Altimax Artic as a good median, I wouldn't stud the Generals. I've considered Nokian Hakka 8's but don't think I'll need the studs.

2009 Cobalt LS XFE (F23) Victory Red
YYZ V.3 Springs, Koni shocks/struts, Powell XXX rear swaybar, Brembo brake swap, 5 lug conversion, Ion Redline wheels, SS/SC interior swap including power conversion, K&N intake, Trifecta tune, Ark Performance N-II catback, Ark shorty antenna, SS body kit, Powell F23 rotated mount, LNF rear mount, Powell CABs
Soon to come- EFR 6758 turbo kit and make Retro Headlights.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
You guys know I'm older and have experience, depending on your budget, Toyo are the best unstudded tires in my opinion but if you miss their sale option they can be a bit pricey. Second option Hankook iPike are a super winter tire that stay round an keep there grip pass 20% wear. I'm a Dad and both my daughters and their mom's life ride on Hankook. I oppted for Winter Quest for my Mitsubishi 2 years ago when I thought it was on it's last leg and putting expensive tires didn't seem to make sense. I'm still to this day regretting that move because I don't think my Outlander will ever die. Should have spent the extra 100$ and got good Hankooks. Instead of enduring badly worn out of round cheap tires for an other 3 winters.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 05:33 PM

The point about them lasting is why I'm sweyed towards the Nokian Hakka R2

YYZ V.3 Springs, Koni shocks/struts, Powell XXX rear swaybar, Brembo brake swap, 5 lug conversion, Ion Redline wheels, SS/SC interior swap including power conversion, K&N intake, Trifecta tune, Ark Performance N-II catback, Ark shorty antenna, SS body kit, Powell F23 rotated mount, LNF rear mount, Powell CABs
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
Cobalt Master
Staff Alumni

Idk I was thinking of all season tires that way I can keep em on during the summer too
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 07:46 PM

Any all season is going to be a compromise.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 07:51 PM
Staff Alumni

Just put my xi3's on my cruze. Night and day better handling than the LRR goodyears. Buy those

Sent from the sexy electrician

2009 Ford Escape Limited - 3.0L, 6 speed auto, 4x4, 25/33 city/hwy imp mpg.
2017 F150 XLT-XTR - 5.0L, 4x4, 3.55's, E-locker, xtr chrome package, fx4 off-road package.
20/25 imp mpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode