differences in steering gears (rack and pinion) - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
differences in steering gears (rack and pinion)

I replaced my stabilizer bar last weekend and according to the repair manual, there are different sets of instructions for the different suspensions (fe1, fe3, fe5). Specifically, it mentions to change out the stabilizer bar, the steering gear must be removed on all 2005 models(regardless of suspension RPO code). For 2006 and up FE1 and FE3 the steering gear just be removed but 2006+ FE5 the steering gear does not need removed. I guess I didn't know there were different steering gear assemblies for the 3 different suspension levels.

Does anyone know what the differences are? Is this something to look into changing for the sake of better steering performance? Are all the assemblies interchangeable?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 03:36 PM
Forum Regular

I wonder if it isn't a difference between the sizes of the sway bars and not the steering gear. Maybe the FE5 sway bar has different sized ends that allow it to fit through that space, where the FE1 and FE3 won't.

Don't know if it is bad form to link to another forum... If it is, I will remove this link, but here last post on the page you can see the difference between an FE5 and a 1 or 3 sway bar. The ends are at a different angle. That may explain the need to remove the steering gear.

http://www.chevycobaltforum.com/foru...30/index6.html

Last edited by dakotarayne; 12-11-2014 at 03:46 PM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
Yeah, the bars are for sure different shapes on the end as well as different length and diameter. I noticed the difference in length when I swapped my fe1 for an fe5 bar last weekend. Also, the difference in diameter accounts for the stiffer cornering. I also did a search for a replacement rack and pinion. Sure enough, there are different units for the different RPO's. I'm just not sure what the differences are.

---------- Post added at 05:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:43 PM ----------

2005-07 FE1 #25956924
FE3&FE5 #25956925

2008-10 FE1 #25956924
FE3 #25956925
FE5 #25956914

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:22 PM ----------

According to John At Powwell, "all the steering racks are the same ratio. Part number changes happen for all sorts of reasons."

Last edited by rains_crusader; 12-11-2014 at 05:51 PM. Reason: corrected a part number
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode