Sway Bar Bushing Bolt - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

3Likes
  • 1 Post By Coby7
  • 1 Post By MP81
  • 1 Post By MP81

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Sway Bar Bushing Bolt

So I am having problems removing the sway bar bushing bolt that is connected to the strut. The bolt just keeps spinning and spinning, and won't loosen up at all. Is there a way to get the nut off without cutting the whole thing? Or will a FE5 sway bar link fit on my car?

2006 Cobalt LT Stealth Grey Metallic Coupe.
The current mods: ZZP shorty header, Mugen Twin Loop Muffler, American Eagle 17x7s, Nightshade Tinted Tail Lights, Custom Spec-D Headlights, SS 0-140mph Gauge cluster, Custom Made Cold Air Intake, Carbon Fiber wrapped badges, FE5 Struts/Shocks, CM/SSC Springs, SS Shift Knob, SS front bumper, SS Pioneer Sound System, Pioneer GM-A3602 Amplifier, Painted Calipers, MPX Shorty Antenna.

1969 Triumph GT6+ MK2 (350 V8 project car)

Last edited by JBronski; 01-16-2015 at 03:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 06:04 PM
Forum God

Try some pb blaster on it
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
If you are replacing the link anyways just pop the ball out of the shoulder then grab the ball with a pair of good vicegrips.

solarboy likes this.

Every minute spent angry is a happy minute lost for ever and ever!!!
Drives 2016 Cocoa Buick Encore 1.4L Turbo auto KL4CJDSB2GB652675
Drives 2016 Sunset Orange Trax LT1 1.4L Turbo auto 3GNCJPSB8GL142716

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 04:41 AM
Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
If you are replacing the link anyways just pop the ball out of the shoulder then grab the ball with a pair of good vicegrips.

That's what I had to do on mine.

An fe5 link will be too short if you have an fe1 bar

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 07:04 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner

Garage
Might as well just throw in an FE5 bar while you're at it, then get a set of Moog FE5 endlinks and voilą, stiffer front end.

Note: when I said "Just throw in", I do not mean that to sound easy it's more like: "wrestle with the stupid bar, cursing your car, yourself, GM, the world, etc for putting it these, and at some point almost wanting to kick your car off the jack stands" ;)
solarboy likes this.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP81 View Post
Might as well just throw in an FE5 bar while you're at it, then get a set of Moog FE5 endlinks and voilą, stiffer front end.

Note: when I said "Just throw in", I do not mean that to sound easy it's more like: "wrestle with the stupid bar, cursing your car, yourself, GM, the world, etc for putting it these, and at some point almost wanting to kick your car off the jack stands" ;)
The sway bar off a SC will fit right?

And that sir is hilarious

2006 Cobalt LT Stealth Grey Metallic Coupe.
The current mods: ZZP shorty header, Mugen Twin Loop Muffler, American Eagle 17x7s, Nightshade Tinted Tail Lights, Custom Spec-D Headlights, SS 0-140mph Gauge cluster, Custom Made Cold Air Intake, Carbon Fiber wrapped badges, FE5 Struts/Shocks, CM/SSC Springs, SS Shift Knob, SS front bumper, SS Pioneer Sound System, Pioneer GM-A3602 Amplifier, Painted Calipers, MPX Shorty Antenna.

1969 Triumph GT6+ MK2 (350 V8 project car)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 08:27 AM
Say What again!

Garage
Yessir! That is what I run. The SC FE5 bar is 24mm, so it's actually 1mm larger than the TC FE5 bar. Moog end links are thicker than OEM ones, so they're the way to go, as well - and they're greasable.

Hilarious, and true.

It really is a huge pain in the ass to get it out - and then once you remove the 19mm stock bar, you realize you have to put a larger one back in that same spot.
solarboy likes this.

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 08:44 AM
Veteran

Garage
Changing the bar is a royal pain. I had to remove the rear tranny mount (my car is an auto) and unbolt my steering rack to gain clearance to get it in. I was doing an exhaust upgrade at the time as well. So, I had my downpipe off and out of the way. Not sure it's necessary though.

Op, if you switch to the fe5 bar, don't forget the fe5 bar bushings. I used some Moog bushings.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 09:03 AM
Say What again!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rains_crusader View Post
So, I had my downpipe off and out of the way. Not sure it's necessary though.
It's not necessary - I took my bar out without removing the exhaust, or unbolting the steering rack (did undo the rear auto trans mount, though) - but it sure as hell would've helped, as I kept running the swaybar into the downpipe when trying to maneuver it out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode