New Suspension Setup Ideas/help - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

New Suspension Setup Ideas/help

First off I'll start with the fact that I want to make the move from springs to bags. Yes I know, but I've always wanted to do this. I'm not to familiar with all the parts that a air suspension kit has compared to a coil suspension kit. What I wanted to know was what parts on the suspension remain the same and what parts are different. Maybe somebody has a list somewhere or can say a few things.

Secondly, the control arm...
When turning slowly I get that ever so familiar "popping" sound that we all know and hate. I've been doing some reading and came across THIS that sums up what I'm experiencing pretty well. Since I probably need to replace the control arm, bushings and maybe the sway bar, its bushings and the sway bar links, I was wondering what you guys thought of replacing these parts and any performance parts that can be used as a replacement that are better.

(I'm new to suspension in general so please be detailed in your response).

Also I'd be looking for performance related parts when it comes to replacing things. I'd rather not just buy OEM parts that will break or go bad again. I plan on making this a performance track car.

Edit:
Also would you go with coils or bags personally and why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 05:19 AM
Forum Regular

if by track car u mean your planning on racing it, u wont be able to have bags, they will blow up
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 05:30 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Don't quote me on this, but I believe bags are mostly for show and no so much for track use. A good shock/spring combo (say FE5 & YYZ) would pair up very well for track use and won't run up a big bill either. Coilovers, when done up right can be the next step up, but now you're looking at 1k+

'07 Eclipse GT build thread - 280whp, 254wtq

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 05:31 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Certain bag setups are absolutely fantastic on the track, you just have extra weight from all the components.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

I heard that bags are not allowed on some tracks. I don't really understand why this is? I mean, if you went a dropped like 3k+ on a good bag set up thats meant for racing would they still allow you to use them or no? Not to mention IDK what bag set-ups are even available for the Cobalt besides Chevrolet Cobalt (2005-2010) Air Suspension Air Ride | Air Lift Performance - Air Ride and Air Management Systems.
Also how much extra weight would you have from the components? Like 40lbs? Air tank would be mounted in the middle of the trunk probably so any noticeable weight changes or anything?

Also I have lowering springs right now, but don't want another set of them cause there not adjustable. Bags or Coils is what I'm trying to debate between. I plan on doing this change this summer and know that I'll probably be spending at least 3 grand+.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Koni Yellows (shocks/struts) are adjustable, but I don't see why you'd really want to bother with that anyways unless you're a diehard track day guy. Even still, Murphy's law states that the more complicated a system becomes, the more likely it is to fail. Coils and air bags are complicated, shocks and springs aren't.

'07 Eclipse GT build thread - 280whp, 254wtq
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 08:28 PM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerForum God

If you drive it every day and want to spend the money Bags. If you want to go cheaper probably handle a bit better and what not then Coils. Lastly if you want all out handling, Koni's and YYZ springs, also good daily springs.

2009 Cobalt LS XFE (F23) Victory Red
YYZ V.3 Springs, Koni shocks/struts, Powell XXX rear swaybar, Brembo brake swap, 5 lug conversion, Ion Redline wheels, SS/SC interior swap including power conversion, K&N intake, Trifecta tune, Ark Performance N-II catback, Ark shorty antenna, SS body kit, Powell F23 rotated mount, LNF rear mount, Powell CABs
Soon to come- EFR 6758 turbo kit and make Retro Headlights.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Yes I guess I should have mentioned that this is my daily driver, at least for next few years. I'm also prepared to spend the money cause I don't plan on getting rid of this car, like ever, so ya.

So ya If people are going to bitch when I go to do autocross, or track days or anything like that because I have bags, then forget bags. But if I'd get bags, there not going to be meant for "slaming" my car, there meant for performance.

I've prepared to spend what ever on this bag or coil set-up as well so don't worry about the budget stuff.

I guess what I need to figure out is if I got bags, can I still use the car anywhere and everywhere I would be able to as if I had coils or springs.

^^^ Has anyone heard of any issues with people who have bags going to use there car.

P.S. - Also the other downside I see to the bags is like Plain Jane said being that the bags are a complex setup with tanks and hoses and such. Plus the added weight, if it would even make a difference. So another thing for me to think about.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 08:34 PM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerForum God

Bags probably ride the nicest and when aired down look the best but can suffer the most problems in the long run. Honestly I think you'd be happy with just a simple F-08-10 FE5 setup especially if you're going from FE1 to that.

2009 Cobalt LS XFE (F23) Victory Red
YYZ V.3 Springs, Koni shocks/struts, Powell XXX rear swaybar, Brembo brake swap, 5 lug conversion, Ion Redline wheels, SS/SC interior swap including power conversion, K&N intake, Trifecta tune, Ark Performance N-II catback, Ark shorty antenna, SS body kit, Powell F23 rotated mount, LNF rear mount, Powell CABs
Soon to come- EFR 6758 turbo kit and make Retro Headlights.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 11:28 PM
Cobalt Master

i want to do bags on SOMETHING one of these days, not for racing or anything but i just want to do it to say i did it mostly haha, most likely won't be my g5 though, i like how it handles with fe5/YYZ combo, just need to get some sway bars and what not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
Speed isn't everything. Sometimes, you just need a little style and flare in your motoring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode