Brake Upgrade - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Brake Upgrade

All right, so I know there has been topics on this in the past, but this may be a bit more specific.

Basically - want to do a brake upgrade, but I do NOT want to change my lug pattern from the 4-lug I have.

For the front:

I know R1 Concepts sells a 4-lug rotor to fit the SS/TC Brembo brakes, so that would not be an issue (I'm also looking at perhaps going with the TCE 13" front kit, but this all is related, fitment-wise). What is needed to get the SS/TC Brembos on there? Do I need a different spindle, or can I stick with my stock spindle and have everything bolt up?

For the rears:

Sticking with 4-lug, is there a bracket that I'm able to utilize to mount the SS/TC rear calipers (likewise, TCE offers a rear kit I would look into as well), or do I have to buy the SS rear beam and swap over my 4-lug hubs? R1 Concepts does not make a 4-lug rotor to fit the rear SS/TC brakes that I know of, so this would present an issue also - but I think caliper fitment is more of an issue.

Honestly, the Brembos would probably be far more than enough braking for my car (the 13" TCE kit would look way better, but I think they'd out-brake even my Direzza ZIIs). I just need to know what I'm looking at to upgrade the brakes, while keeping the 4-lug pattern.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 08:51 AM
Contributor

I can't offer much help on the Brembo conversion, but I would caution you from spending a lot of money on R1Concept rotors. They look nice, but they are junk.
I swapped out my stock TC rotors on all corners for R1Concept a few years ago and both front rotors have cracked at the road track. I realize that this is pretty extreme use, but neither of my stock TC rotors (which are still on the car 5 years later!) have any issues under the exact same usage.
Unfortunately, most "premium" rotors that are sold for the TC are nothing but cheap inferior quality steel blanks sourced from China, machined and powder coated in the US and sold at outrageous prices for what they are.

Left: OEM Made in Germany lnf rotor; right: R1 Concepts "Premium" rotor

Black 2010 SS/TC G85 | ZFR6758 | Term2 tuned | 479whp, 470wtq | Built internals | Cryo'd 4.45 | CM S4 clutch | Hahn CP | ZZP IC | Forge BPV | Hahn 3 DP and Catback | Hahn CAI | Ported head & intake | LE5 TB | Opel injectors + custom 5th injector | ZZP S3 cams | 82# valve springs | 420lph E85 LPFP | Custom FM oil cooler | PRS YYZ v3 & Koni yellows | PRS XXX bar | PRS rotated mounts, rear bushings & TCABS | PRS PCV | PRS Racing oil pan | PRS brake ducts
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Say What again!

Garage
Those look horrific.

I'd like to stay away from redrilling rotors every time I need to do my brakes - I wouldn't be surprised if Wilwood or someone has a 2-piece that'll fit, though.

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 08:21 PM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerForum God

Quote:
Originally Posted by colodude18 View Post
I can't offer much help on the Brembo conversion, but I would caution you from spending a lot of money on R1Concept rotors. They look nice, but they are junk.
I swapped out my stock TC rotors on all corners for R1Concept a few years ago and both front rotors have cracked at the road track. I realize that this is pretty extreme use, but neither of my stock TC rotors (which are still on the car 5 years later!) have any issues under the exact same usage.
Unfortunately, most "premium" rotors that are sold for the TC are nothing but cheap inferior quality steel blanks sourced from China, machined and powder coated in the US and sold at outrageous prices for what they are.

Left: OEM Made in Germany lnf rotor; right: R1 Concepts "Premium" rotor
I helped figure that out when he didn't know which was which. The stocks are grey, R1's black.

---------- Post added at 11:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP81 View Post
Those look horrific.

I'd like to stay away from redrilling rotors every time I need to do my brakes - I wouldn't be surprised if Wilwood or someone has a 2-piece that'll fit, though.
Unfortunately that's what you'll probably have to do. Source all the parts, just go OEM, have them redrilled and you'll be good to go for at least 30k. Make sure you get new brake lines, the hub spacers and washers to space out the line, I believe your old banjo bolt works. Then just leave the rear drums as it's really not worth the effort. But if you want to either grab brackets, I want to say level zero and I know Powell makes them. LNF rears are better since it's a vented rotor but also generally have more issues if you don't maintain them, lube them every oil change. If you're really worried about re drilling them buy the Jig and do it yourself with a drill press and by probably the second time it'd pay for itself.

2009 Cobalt LS XFE (F23) Victory Red
YYZ V.3 Springs, Koni shocks/struts, Powell XXX rear swaybar, Brembo brake swap, 5 lug conversion, Ion Redline wheels, SS/SC interior swap including power conversion, K&N intake, Trifecta tune, Ark Performance N-II catback, Ark shorty antenna, SS body kit, Powell F23 rotated mount, LNF rear mount, Powell CABs
Soon to come- EFR 6758 turbo kit and make Retro Headlights.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 04:54 AM Thread Starter
Say What again!

Garage
TCE says that they can do rotors for the 4-lugs, as long as everything has the same dimensions from 4 lug to 5 lug. So essentially, if I can set the car up for 5-lug discs, I can go with their kits, just with a 4-lug rotor.

Which brings me back to my initial questions - do I need to swap spindles up front, or are the caliper mounts the same between all the cars? And on the back - would the Powell bracket allow me to fit calipers back there (I'm guessing it would be similar to the SSBC one, and fit between the hub and the beam?)?

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 05:41 AM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerForum God

No you just need to buy the hub spacer CED sells for the front and that's correct for the rear.

2009 Cobalt LS XFE (F23) Victory Red
YYZ V.3 Springs, Koni shocks/struts, Powell XXX rear swaybar, Brembo brake swap, 5 lug conversion, Ion Redline wheels, SS/SC interior swap including power conversion, K&N intake, Trifecta tune, Ark Performance N-II catback, Ark shorty antenna, SS body kit, Powell F23 rotated mount, LNF rear mount, Powell CABs
Soon to come- EFR 6758 turbo kit and make Retro Headlights.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
Say What again!

Garage
So that pushes the hub itself outwards?

That little 3-bolt one there near the middle of the bottom of the image? Just to align the brembo caliper and the rotor, I'm guessing. If I run a TCE kit, I may not need it, but that depends on the measurements, something I'm sure I can ask about.

I shouldn't need any spacer for the wheels, considering my MSR 045s have less positive offset than the SS/TC rims, pushing them further outboard.

Did you swap your master cylinder over to 4-wheel disc master?

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 06:19 AM
Veteran

Garage
I did a rear disc conversion recently(LSJ not brembo). I didn't switch the master just the abs module/proportioning valve assembly. Mine seems to work as it should.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
Say What again!

Garage
All right. No ABS on my car, so I don't have to worry about that mess.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 11:21 AM
Veteran

Garage
I'd still check into the proportioning valve so your brake bias is correct. Not sure if it's absolutely necessary but I'd want to be sure.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode