Front Shocks - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Front Shocks

Hi Cobalt Forum,

I need a little help again if that would be possible please! The last time I was on the forums was back in July, my check engine light was on. After some discussion here, a little research plus some elbow grease the problem turned out to be the rad fan was history, when power was applied it was overdrawing and blowing fuses (which triggered the engine light). So thanks very much for that, it's all fixed and been running great!

Todays problem is the nut on the front strut stabilizers refusing to budge. I've hooked it up with a 18mm socket + 17mm wrench on the rear grab plate, and it comes off a few turns. The problem is the rust (thanks Ontario road salt), and it won't go any further. It just turns in the strut mount.

How can I get the nut off and release the strut bar? Maybe get a threading kit for the bolt? Please advise!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 09:32 PM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerForum God

Impact gun, otherwise it'll always spin

2009 Cobalt LS XFE (F23) Victory Red
YYZ V.3 Springs, Koni shocks/struts, Powell XXX rear swaybar, Brembo brake swap, 5 lug conversion, Ion Redline wheels, SS/SC interior swap including power conversion, K&N intake, Trifecta tune, Ark Performance N-II catback, Ark shorty antenna, SS body kit, Powell F23 rotated mount, LNF rear mount, Powell CABs
Soon to come- EFR 6758 turbo kit and make Retro Headlights.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 03:06 AM
Staff Alumni

Take a blow torch to it. No joke, I don't even try to save them. They just aren't worth the hassle. Mind you I live in the rust capital of the world, eastern Canada.

Sent from the sexy electrician

2009 Ford Escape Limited - 3.0L, 6 speed auto, 4x4, 25/33 city/hwy imp mpg.
2017 F150 XLT-XTR - 5.0L, 4x4, 3.55's, E-locker, xtr chrome package, fx4 off-road package.
20/25 imp mpg

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 03:42 AM
Forum Regular

I had the same trouble when I did mine last December. I clamped one side with a vice grips and let it spin until it contacted the car structure, and I used a torch to heat the other side. When it was hot, I put a socket on there with a long breaker bar and used an automotive jack under the bar. Started lifting the breaker bar with the jack and the weight of the car helped put more force on there than I ever could. Had to reposition the breaker bar a couple of times, but the nut came off.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 04:01 AM
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewcarr1993 View Post
Impact gun, otherwise it'll always spin
I second this. Took mine off two days ago and they had been off a few days before that and it still took the impact to get them off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
"Ask not what my monster truck can do for you, ask instead what you can do for my monster truck."

-JFK
Quote:
And on this day the good Lord said, 'Let the big wheeled vehicle pass on into Heaven.'
Quote:
Speed isn't everything. Sometimes, you just need a little style and flair in your monster trucking.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 04:06 AM
Staff Alumni

Impact doesn't always work. Sometimes I just spins the ball in the socket. This creates heat which will kill the end link

Sent from the sexy electrician

2009 Ford Escape Limited - 3.0L, 6 speed auto, 4x4, 25/33 city/hwy imp mpg.
2017 F150 XLT-XTR - 5.0L, 4x4, 3.55's, E-locker, xtr chrome package, fx4 off-road package.
20/25 imp mpg
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 09:11 AM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerForum God

I forget do stock ones have the small nut on the back?

I removed my stock ones the fun way. tore the ball out of the socket, ground the back ball down so I could fit a set of vice grips on it then rotated against the frame, used a half inch rachet with me using my leg while holding onto the engine cradle to push it. Fun times...

2009 Cobalt LS XFE (F23) Victory Red
YYZ V.3 Springs, Koni shocks/struts, Powell XXX rear swaybar, Brembo brake swap, 5 lug conversion, Ion Redline wheels, SS/SC interior swap including power conversion, K&N intake, Trifecta tune, Ark Performance N-II catback, Ark shorty antenna, SS body kit, Powell F23 rotated mount, LNF rear mount, Powell CABs
Soon to come- EFR 6758 turbo kit and make Retro Headlights.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 07:03 PM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewcarr1993 View Post
I forget do stock ones have the small nut on the back?
They have the 17mm (I think?) cast in nut on the front that generally rounds off. I just used vice grips on that area once it rounded. I was replacing them with Moogs anyway during the swap.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode