SS/TC Suspension but at Base "4x4" Stance? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

SS/TC Suspension but at Base "4x4" Stance?

I want the SS/TC suspension, but I want it at the base 4x4 height. I've read that it lowers it 10mm, I've also read that from base to SS/TC is actually almost 2", either way I don't want the drop.

1.) Is it the strut/shock or the springs that causes the drop, I've always assumed it's the spring.

2.) If You swap out for ss/tc struts and shocks, but get a spring that maintains Base height but with the same spring rate as the ss/tc, will the strut/shocks perform the same? Or are the shocks/struts designed for the drop?

3.) Can anyone, with certainty, tell me the spring rates for the front and rear SS/TC? I've read 154 front, 160-228lbs progressive rear, but I can't confirm. That would seem soft considering the way everyone says it handles better.

Thanks in advance,
C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 11:17 AM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerForum God

Unless you go out have have a custom spring made you're not getting 08-10 FE5 without lowering the car a little. Go look at pictures of stock SS/TC cars since they made them in both sedan and coupe you can get a good idea of how much lower it is.

They shocks/struts are valved better with a stiffer spring and you won't get much besides a harsher ride if you leave FE1 in with FE5 shocks/struts.

I could text powell for the rates but I know he has them posted somewhere I'll try and look.

2009 Cobalt LS XFE (F23) Victory Red
YYZ V.3 Springs, Koni shocks/struts, Powell XXX rear swaybar, Brembo brake swap, 5 lug conversion, Ion Redline wheels, SS/SC interior swap including power conversion, K&N intake, Trifecta tune, Ark Performance N-II catback, Ark shorty antenna, SS body kit, Powell F23 rotated mount, LNF rear mount, Powell CABs
Soon to come- EFR 6758 turbo kit and make Retro Headlights.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewcarr1993 View Post
Unless you go out have have a custom spring made you're not getting 08-10 FE5 without lowering the car a little. Go look at pictures of stock SS/TC cars since they made them in both sedan and coupe you can get a good idea of how much lower it is.

They shocks/struts are valved better with a stiffer spring and you won't get much besides a harsher ride if you leave FE1 in with FE5 shocks/struts.

I could text powell for the rates but I know he has them posted somewhere I'll try and look.
Thanks, but I don't want to leave FE1 springs in, I want to put "taller" springs with the same rates as the SS/TC springs. There's a ton of springs made by a bunch of different companies for racing/lowering/lifting just about any car made... I just have to know what to look for!

And that would be awesome if you could find the rates, you'd think it would be readily available information

~C

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
My I ask why you want to keep the stock FE1 ride height? If it's clearance you're worried about, the FE5 setup (shocks & springs) will do fine unless you wanna tackle Moab or something. I have FE5 shocks and Pedders springs and have only gotten badly stuck twice that I can remember and both times it was due to ice freezing around and under my car locking me in place. I'd recommend carrying a shovel and a good set of traction aids if your winters are particularly harsh like mine.

'07 Eclipse GT build thread - 280whp, 254wtq
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane View Post
My I ask why you want to keep the stock FE1 ride height? If it's clearance you're worried about, the FE5 setup (shocks & springs) will do fine unless you wanna tackle Moab or something. I have FE5 shocks and Pedders springs and have only gotten badly stuck twice that I can remember and both times it was due to ice freezing around and under my car locking me in place. I'd recommend carrying a shovel and a good set of traction aids if your winters are particularly harsh like mine.
If there's snow, then I take the SUV which has shovel/ax/recovery gear/etc. I want to keep FE1 ride height because I take it places where it needs it, it's that simple. I want the better handling characteristics of the TC setup, that way I can push the car harder on pavement and washboard gravel roads.

A quote from a passenger last weekend:

"Man, you're nuts, I wouldn't take my truck up here"

Thanks for the input though!
~C
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

The ss suspension isnt insanely lower than base. I don't think it would cause too much trouble with base bumpers beinghigher up

Last edited by swanman35; 05-16-2015 at 07:14 PM.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2015, 08:35 PM
Contributor

Out of curiousity does anyone have a base LS/LT on FE5 shocks/springs combo, a pic request? That or the eibach pro kit is lowest i'd go as I have a big ass ZZP resonator sticking low. Otherwise i'd look into YYZ's

2010 Cobalt 2LT Victory red Coupe
Mods: Tinted 50% ceramic all around, factory spoiler, 2008 LE5 2.4 Throttle body, GMPP Intake, Walker stock exhaust system (back to silence), TruBendz/MBE 2.5" catted Downpipe, HP Tuners by Chenry Motorsports, Alpine CDE-151 with USB port, Rockford Fosgate 300-10
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 08:04 AM
Forum Regular

I literally just about walked outside to take a picture for you, but then realized my car is getting a new exhaust welded on. I will try and get you a picture later today. I am on FE5 (lnf) springs and Konis. They aren't low, but they handle well.

Quote:
"Ask not what my monster truck can do for you, ask instead what you can do for my monster truck."

-JFK
Quote:
And on this day the good Lord said, 'Let the big wheeled vehicle pass on into Heaven.'
Quote:
Speed isn't everything. Sometimes, you just need a little style and flair in your monster trucking.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 02:04 PM
Forum Regular

Sorry for the bad pictures since its still raining but here they are.
Its definitely lower, even though it doesn't look like much, but it also handles a million times better. (Ignore the ugly wheels that need to be painted or replaced)

This is front wheel gap (tough to get a picture of measurement)

And this is the rear wheel gap.

It also sits more level than it did with fe1 springs

Quote:
"Ask not what my monster truck can do for you, ask instead what you can do for my monster truck."

-JFK
Quote:
And on this day the good Lord said, 'Let the big wheeled vehicle pass on into Heaven.'
Quote:
Speed isn't everything. Sometimes, you just need a little style and flair in your monster trucking.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Looks about the same it did on my FE5/Pedders setup. People would never know it was lowered unless you told them.

Of course I don't particularly like using the term 'lowered', since these springs are not for low, but rather for handling.

Stock 2.2s do look like monster trucks to me now tbh

'07 Eclipse GT build thread - 280whp, 254wtq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode