Has Anyone Used 15" Snows on LT2 That Came with 16" Tires Originally? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Has Anyone Used 15" Snows on LT2 That Came with 16" Tires Originally?

Just wondering if anyone has tried using 15" rims and snows on a Cobalt that came with 16" tires. I would be using the right fit for 15" tires just wondering what others experiences have been like doing this? Done a bunch of searching but have not found anything specific regarding trying it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 06:52 PM
Expert

Garage
I think it would probably work, as long as you match the lug pattern and make sure it'll clear the brake calipers.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 09:40 AM
YourCobalt of the Month WinnerForum God

Can't be done give up now.

But really it'd work comes with 15's on most other models grab a set and 195/65/15 snows for cheap and you're all set.

2009 Cobalt LS XFE (F23) Victory Red
YYZ V.3 Springs, Koni shocks/struts, Powell XXX rear swaybar, Brembo brake swap, 5 lug conversion, Ion Redline wheels, SS/SC interior swap including power conversion, K&N intake, Trifecta tune, Ark Performance N-II catback, Ark shorty antenna, SS body kit, Powell F23 rotated mount, LNF rear mount, Powell CABs
Soon to come- EFR 6758 turbo kit and make Retro Headlights.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Oh yeah, easy peezy lemon squeezy. Ideally you want a small, narrow tire for winter use as it'll cut through the snow and better reach the road. I ran Michelin x-ice xi3s (185/65/15) and never had a problem. Speedo shouldn't be affected too much either since you'll be going with a higher sidewall when moving down a tire size.

'07 Eclipse GT build thread - 280whp, 254wtq
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

Thanks it does give me another option to get some winters... I did it on my Neon going down a size and it never mattered. Then again it didn't have traction control and ABS either LOL.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 10:29 AM
Newcomer

15 winter tires

Since 2008 the province of Quebec has made winter tires mandatory from December 15 to April 15. This law has it's benefits in several ways. It forces people to buy the appropriate tire for the winter conditions resulting in less accidents as well quicker travel times as the traction is unmatched with winter tires compared to all season. Another bonus is preserving your aluminum mags, the salt used in winter months destroys the rims essentially reversing the chemical creation of the aluminum turning them into a powdery consistency of the original compounds of alumina and bauxite.

If you purchase 15 inch steel rims you can keep your winter tires mounted until seasonal changes, it costs less to change them rather than mounting and dismounting the 16 inch tires from winter to summer. In most cases the 195-60/15 is what you will use. What you will notice is a softer ride and not so fast cornering due to the increased sidewall height, but that pales in comparison to cutting through the snow with supreme confidance, looking forward to the quitter ride in spring with your summer wheels. Due to the poor state of Quebec roads or more direct the decrepit, potholed streets of Montreal I chose not to place wheel covers over the steel wheels as they fly off at the slightest bump. Another bonus to the winter steel wheel combo, it is less expensive to replace the steel rim than an aluminum one.....I speak of this from experience!!!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Prospect

I will definitely be getting rims and tires for winter, saving on 2 changeovers pays for the rims. I was just checking if I could get away with 15" to hopefully save some money.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 03:08 PM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
Yep, you'll be good. 195/60R15 should match the 16's tire diameter, and is the factory 15" tire size, but as PJ mentioned, if you can go taller and narrower and keep the diameter close, that's even better.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode