Malibu LT Rims - Will They Cause Tire Rub? - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Garage
Malibu LT Rims - Will They Cause Tire Rub?

I'm looking at putting a set of 2008 Malibu LT rims on my 2007 Cobalt SS NA. The rims are 5x110 bolt pattern, 17x7 with a 38mm offset (4mm less than stock with same width rim). I would be running these with 205/50R17 Goodyear Eagle GT tires, and I am not lowered. These tires have a thick "rim protector" lip, which probably makes the tire width more like a 215 near the edge of the rim. Will the extra 4mm be enough to cause any rubbing issues inside the fenders (front or rear), or will it be ok?

These are the rims:
2008 Chevrolet Malibu LT Sedan in White Photo No. 11823299 | GTCarLot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 10:21 AM
Say What again!
YourCobalt of the Month Winner
YourCobalt.com Premium Member

Garage
No, you won't rub.

People have fit 255s on the stock SS/TC rims with Eibachs and not rubbed.

1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z - Wrecked/Sold
1998 Chevrolet Cavalier - Wrecked/Donated
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
2017 Chevrolet Volt LT - Black Bowties
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 11:37 AM
Expert

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP81 View Post
No, you won't rub.

255s? Serious? Man, time to upgrade from my 205s!

Your 205s should fit fine without rubbing. My 205s don't come anywhere close to rubbing. I've even heard that 225s should fit LS/LT Cobalts without rubbing on stock suspension.

Last edited by Parthros; 06-22-2015 at 11:44 AM.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 11:51 AM
Say What again!

Garage
Yup, guy had a 255/35R18 on there, haha

Stock suspension sits so high you won't rub on much of anything.

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT - M62 Supercharger, Ported Throttle Body, 42 lb/hr Injectors, Intense 2.9" Pulley, Cobra Heat Exchanger, SS/TC Exhaust, TTR Engine and Trans Mounts, Trifecta Tune, ZZP Header and Downpipe, '08+ FE5 Struts/Shocks, SSC Springs, FE5 Control Arms, SS/SC Front Swaybar, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, 18" MSR 045s, Dunlop ZIIs, Nightshaded Tails/Side Markers, Shorty Antenna, Black Bowties, Black Grilles, Black Headlights, Dual JL 12" w1v2 Subs, A/D/S Front/Rear Speakers, Pioneer 7" Touchscreen, G85 Recaros, Leather Rear Seats, 160 MPH Cluster.
2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel - 17" MSR 013s, Black Bowties, Black Tails, UR Rear Lower Bar
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - JVC Ribbon Tweeters, SEAS Mids, Pyle Woofers, Kenwood Tape Deck, Zapco Amp/Equilizer, Ceramic-Coated Longtubes, 2.5" Pypes Stainless Exhaust, Bilstein B6 Shocks, GW U/L Control Arms, Hotchkis Springs Sway Bars, DD HDX Cluster
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP81 View Post
No, you won't rub.

But I'm more concerned about the 4mm difference in offset that will make the wheels stick out 4mm more toward the fenders. I've been reading on these forums that our cars don't do well clearance wise with low offset rims. I also realize that 38mm is not extremely low, but it does put the wheels almost a half centimeter outward compared to the stock rims, meaning the top of the tire will be that much closer to the inner fender.

---------- Post added at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 PM ----------

Also, another thing to consider is that I have roughly 110,000 kms (68,000 miles) on my car. The suspension is not terribly worn out or sagging, but it's not like new either. Could this be a problem for the 4mm difference in offset?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 02:24 PM
Expert

Garage
Well, it sounds like if there's a 4mm "lip" then you're looking at tires that are actually 209s, which is still plenty narrow enough to not rub, unless I'm not understanding what you're saying.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthros View Post
Well, it sounds like if there's a 4mm "lip" then you're looking at tires that are actually 209s, which is still plenty narrow enough to not rub, unless I'm not understanding what you're saying.
Not exactly. There's two things at play here. There's the lip on the tire sidewall that makes the 205 more like 210 or even 215 width along the edge of the rim, but on top of that there's the difference of 4mm in the wheel offset.

Here's a picture of another Goodyear tire with a smilar lip, you can see it flares out near the edge of the rim. However, it doesn't look like that thickness continues all the way up to the tread, so maybe this is a non factor in terms of tire rub potential.
http://i.imgur.com/J2aQFeV.jpg

The difference in wheel offset is where the main concern is, as it pushes the entire wheel/tire assembly out 4mm. However, I'm hoping that the two combined doesn't put the edge of the tire closer to the fenders than what you would get running a 225 tire on the stock rims. Any input from someone running a similar wheel/tire combo?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 03:32 PM
Expert

Garage
Ah, I see what you're saying. Well, I don't have anything like that on mine, but I'll bet it'll clear just fine. Hopefully someone with a similar set up will drop in sometime soon.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 04:45 AM
Say What again!

Garage
You will never run into an issue with the stock 4x4 lift-kit suspension. There is too much wheel gap for you to ever run into a situation where the edge of the tire is even close to the fender - and if you've gotten it there, you likely have other things to worry about.

Last edited by MP81; 06-23-2015 at 04:47 AM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Garage
I just got the rims installed on the car. No clearance issues or tire rubbing as of yet.

I think they look pretty good, I don't think I've seen any other Cobalts with these rims. I never really liked the chunky look of the stock rims.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode