Newby Question About Rear Brakes - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
Suspension/Wheels/Brakes/Tires Talk about Chevy Cobalt Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires here
Sponsored by:

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Newcomer

Newby Question About Rear Brakes

Hi. I'm looking for info about the rear brakes. My 2010 LS Cobalt has 5 lug rear drum brakes on it. Is this standard OEM equipment?
I've got one spring (behind the tensioner) that doesn't want to fit in place. I know where it hooks into the front shoe but I can't figure out where it hooks into the rear shoe (driver's side).
Every video I'm finding shows a different brake set-up, with 4 lugs instead of the 5 lugs configuration that I have.
Any help is greatly appreciated. This is my first attempt at working on modern drum brakes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 04:56 PM
Forum Regular

5 lug drums were available on the LT model I believe, so 5 lug on your LS seems like someone swapped it over. The right shoe has a hole on the back side (closest to the back of the car) to hook the spring, and a little hook on the the left shoe (closest to the driver). And the setup should be the same for 4 and 5 lug.

2006 Cobalt LT Stealth Grey Metallic Coupe.
The current mods: ZZP shorty header, Mugen Twin Loop Muffler, American Eagle 17x7s, Nightshade Tinted Tail Lights, Custom Spec-D Headlights, SS 0-140mph Gauge cluster, Custom Made Cold Air Intake, Carbon Fiber wrapped badges, FE5 Struts/Shocks, CM/SSC Springs, SS Shift Knob, SS front bumper, SS Pioneer Sound System, Pioneer GM-A3602 Amplifier, Painted Calipers, MPX Shorty Antenna.

1969 Triumph GT6+ MK2 (350 V8 project car)
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-12-2015, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
Newcomer

I stand corrected. I meant LT. ?
There are two holes on the right plate. The one I feel is correct for the spring, would interfere with the parking brake bracket when the spring is in place. I was able to see where the spring attaches on the left plate but not the right plate.
I'll look again this evening, if the weather holds out.
Thanks for the reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode